Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good stuff on ebay  (Read 171313 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Good stuff on ebay
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2016, 06:32:26 PM »
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »
Oh boy...not a quick flip, there...
But I do love the engraving.  Very 1920s.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
I was all in until I saw the broken key and backed out faster than a carjacker from a parking spot

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
I do not know much about clarinets (I played saxophone) So Im not sure if or what this instrument needs besides a mouth piece.

Oh, I think he knows more than that.  The photos he took of the broken off (missing?) guard over the bell is kind of a broad hint.  I didn't see a close-up of where the L3 keywork should be attached, but I'm sure he saw that.
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:26 PM »
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »
Oi, I ain't THAT real of a collector...

I do have an albert bass but its just a normal one.  Certainly nothing that funky!

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »
Nor I, but I did collect the photos. Pretty good photos of how that all works. That neck is one twisted mess with the register key like that. That has to be a fun one to regulate.  ;)

It looks like really nice wood and near perfect condition. Given what some of the recent more typical basses are priced at, the price is not so bad, although I am inclined to be quite happy with my Harry Pedler bass.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
That neck is one twisted mess with the register key like that. That has to be a fun one to regulate.  ;

I was thinking the same thing, but also thinking how easy such manufacturing would be nowadays, and how difficult it must have been when this one was made.  Truly a labor of love, there.

6000 quid is a lot of scratch, and, of course, it might not be nearly as valuable as the "asking" price, as we've not played it. It's pretty, but perhaps it plays like a dog.

My best clarinets are the ones I've paid the least for.  It doesn't always work out that way, but with exception to my Noblet 45, my top 5 were all purchased for less than $75.00, and my absolute best player I picked up for $15.00, with an additional $9.85 in shipping, and I haven't even repadded or corked it. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:23:34 PM by Windsong »

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
That Harry Pedler unmarked but serialized BBb of mine is a deal I might never beat. The tone is just to die for. The more I play it, the closer it comes to being my pet favorite.

Of course I have a couple of really good soprano players that I paid less than $15 for. It's far more difficult to get a deal like that on a BBb or other more unique instruments. My C LPs both were $50 or under and both needed overhauls. The Harry mostly needed adjusting and regulating. I was able to keep all the pads that were on it and just replace a couple that were missing. Since it was the first thing I had worked on with all plateaus, it was a challenge to get it all synchronized but once done, what a nice sound. There is no hint of harsh, just smooth like a deep river. My total investment in it with all accessories is well under $300, plus a lot of time getting to know the mechanism.

This Albert is one of those to keep an eye on to see what it might finally sell for. One gets the idea looking at it that the maker just wanted to do something very unique as a one-off. I doubt there are two identical like that. Of course there could be dozens, or might have been dozens. It's old enough to be a sole survivor.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
Back in those days when they were still trying to figure things out, I'll bet every 5th bass built was a one-off.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »
I do not typically post live auctions, but this one is well beyond the price I pay for clarinets in need of service, and it's rare enough, that it deserves attention.  It will sell for whatever the masses are willing to pay, I'm sure.
First off, I was not aware that Whaley Royce outsourced anything.  Second, the length of this clarinet has me thinking that it's in the key of low F.  It's posted as a Bb, and it may be, since it has 7 rings, and additional keys.  Add the length of the barrel, bell and MP, and we're looking at a clarinet over 30" long.  It's far too long to be in the key of A.
Any ideas?  Perhaps some form of a Basset? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1920s-Buffet-Crampon-One-Piece-Bb-Long-Wood-Clarinet-NORESERVE/391577751582?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3Dcef51ed5e49f46ebbe822dd392dbfa90%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D302089727634

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »
Wow, that is rare . . . and cool.  Yet another item added to the watch list for "market research" purposes.

Thanks for posting Windsong.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
I think it is an A.  I have a 2 piece with similiar keywork that is marked LP A and measures 21" end of tenon to end of tenon.  Other than a serial number, there are no other markings on mine.  It's also unplayable right now, missing pads and cork and on the list of things to do, a list that grows faster than I can mark things off.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. https://clarinetpages.info/

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »
Interesting.  A little research indicates that a Bassett clarinet is typically in the key of A, and 4 semitones below a Bb, instead of just one semitone below a Bb which describes the typical A.
Perhaps this, like yours, is a Bassett?

Airflyte--yes, this is a most unusual clarinet, and the price it has escalated to, so soon from just .99, is abundant and irrefutible proof that these don't come around often.  No doubt the entire clarinet world is watching this auction like hawks on prey.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2016, 08:14:57 PM »
The easiest way to tell if something is a basset or not is to see what the lowest note is.  A basset clarinet is extended to low C.

This is extended to low Eb, which explains the extra length, so it's a FB and not a basset.

This is getting way more than I'd pay.  I bought my Buffet plateau Full Boehm A for all of $202.50.

It is a neat instrument, but not neat enough to warrant the $500 it's probably going to get up to.