Author Topic: Labar Super 20 Alto clarinet  (Read 2085 times)

Offline abellows

• View Profile
Labar Super 20 Alto clarinet
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
Hello all,
  Ive had this particular clarinet for about 10 years now and haven't been able to find out any thing about it. It is Granadilla, and only has Labar super 20 on it. Has anyone heard of this brand before? I have looked through all of the stencil names that I could find, but haven't found anything.

Thanks in advance,

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Labar Super 20 Alto clarinet
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »
Neat!  Please post a pic or three :)
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
Here are some pics

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »
a couple more

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »
The key touches do remind me of a Conn (Malerne stencil) alto I once had.  However, the rest of it is a bit different.

I'll wait for the other guys to chime in :)

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:07:34 AM »
That's an interesting register key mechanism.
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
"Super 20" was a designation at one time for a particular version of the King Master model;- cornet.  ???

I'd need to confirm to see if that was during the UMI years. I think it was. If so, the name "Super 20" might have also been applied to some SML clarinets. SML is a maker that got tossed around between UMI and Pancordian (Ernest Deffler affiliated brands). Perhaps if we had some SML alto photos to compare?
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original ďThe Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »
ABellows,
My best guess is that's an H. N. White stencil alto you have there.
The King Super 20 designation was also applied to one of the best Alto and Tenor sax lines EVER made after WWII.  It's legendary, and VERY expensive.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:58:38 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
After searching the web for a few days this is the closest best SML King Alto pic I could fine(actually the only) Register key has a similar design but still not the same. The search continues!

http://www.clarinetsdirect.biz/MarigauxAlto.html

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 05:58:05 AM »
After searching the web for a few days this is the closest best SML King Alto pic I could fine(actually the only) Register key has a similar design but still not the same. The search continues!

http://www.clarinetsdirect.biz/MarigauxAlto.html

It took me two years to finally identify an unmarked Harry Pedler bass (very early). Finally within a two week period, I stumbled upon not just one match, but two. Keep looking. If it has a serial number, there are more than one of them. Looking very close at the photos, the plateaus look a great deal like the Noblet and Kohlert clarinets, which could be meaningless but is worth noting.

I still wouldn't dismiss a sideways connection with United Musical Instruments, which was a parent company that bought other brands and distributed other brands with the "Super 20" model name. I was just looking at an H.N. White Super 20 saxophone and it was the top model sax just like the late designated Super 20 (Master) cornet. The "Super 20" model name was definitely being used during the UMI era. It could be something else but if it is not a UMI product, the model name on others might be different if there were copyright issues with the name.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original ďThe Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
Looking at what is the same on the Mariqaux;- serialization is in the same place and style. That is definitely significant if not definitive by itself. The register mechanism is the same mechanics as well. The plateaus have the inscribed circles. I think that UMI/SML is the right place to keep looking for a better match. This Marigaux could simply be built earlier or perhaps a little later. A great deal of what is there looks like the same maker.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
It has been a few years since I started this thread, but Iím not one to give up! ;D
I decided to polish the old horn up and start digging again. I actually never quit, but researched less often. I did discover 2D engraved on both the upper and lower joints under the keys. I did post on a Facebook clarinet group asking about any info on the maker. A member posted that it was a Malerne stencil. I havenít been able to find a malerne stencil with the double register linkage similar to this horn. There are  some other differences that I have also noticed. Not that the member is incorrect Iím just open to any other thoughts. 
Iíll post a couple new pics

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 09:27:27 PM »
Iím almost certain I had a malerne alto wjth that double register. I will have to drag through my
Old archives and see if I still have any pics

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
95% certain it's a Malerne and 99.9999% certain it's not from H N White.   ;D

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 08:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! It looks like itís going back in the case. Lol 
Better to spend the money on repadding some other projects.