Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Customized Boosey  (Read 4051 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Customized Boosey
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm not sure if this a factory product or an aftermarket-customized thing.

But it's awesome!  The lowest trill key is extended quite a bit, with a key shape similar to that of an Albert system trill key.  I would imagine for those folks who use trill keys all the time, this helps a ton with quick passages.

The F/C lever has a diamond engraving sort of thing, all the better to help with traction.

Two hypotheses:
1. Customer ordered direct from BH, requesting these custom touches
2. Customer performed modifications after the fact

What do you think?
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Customized Boosey
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
I have seen one like that in photos or perhaps that is the one. The photos I saw were not as close up. It looks extremely well done if it is a custom job. That might be a better position for that key for some players. I tend to hit it unintentionally if I am moving around at all with the side of my index finger. if were more back like that instead of forward and up, it might be more out of the way. I have seen that hole plugged on some clarinets. I guess the players wanted the squawks less than the extra key.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
I'll defer to Windsong (If it's not a B&H, it must be a Leblanc.  What other options are there?) but I believe it is factory and found on most of their wood clarinets.  I have a 2-20 and a wood Edgware that have the spatula trill key, but only the 2-20 has the cross-hatching on the f/c.  Neither key found on the hard rubber Edgware.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
I have just one Boosey to redo (Edgware) and it has typical keys in both positions. It looks like a really well made clarinet, needs total rebuild right now.

Looking at that long throat key calls to mind something I have wondered about some times. I get clarinets some times where that one key is bent down and back. Usually if it is bent because the joint was dropped or case was dropped, both of the lowest keys will be bent inward and upward somewhat. So now I wonder if in the cases where that one key is bent down and back if the player did that deliberately? I'm beginning to think so.

On the two most recent clarinets that I set up for myself I brought that key down a little so I don't squawk it as frequently when I'm hitting the two lower RH5 keys. For some reason my hand just moves into that key when my pinkie reaches down. I should watch for a Boosey like that one.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »
Those were the "Kell keys" usually found on the 2-20 B&H models that were current when I was a student long long ago - they date to the 50's and 60's.  A good friend in my HS band had one, and I pick them up, fix them, and move them along even now.  They are well-made big bore horns. 

Apparently their incorporation is through the influence of Reginald Kell, and you see them on all those many 2-20s that are out there. 
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »
Oh, yes, forgot to mention - it is a 2-20

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
Dave,
As Rezzie said, that's all standard attire for a 1-10 or 2-20 Boosey.  They both used identical RK keywork well into the 1980s.  The 1-10 and 2-20 are great companions, too, because they play and feel identical, and one can be reserved for the concert hall while the other one can go out in the field.  Kell keywork is fantastic, with positive, super strong snappy springs, that make it a quick player.
Now do you see why I like them so much?
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:54:52 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »
Neat!  I am definitely surprised that those features were standard.  Pretty sweet though.  The 2-20 is a wonderful player.  I kinda want to keep it now..

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
Which one is this one? Inconsequential bell crack, some scratches from the lyre and a few stains. No cool ligature or MP. I think it will clean up OK.  :)

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »
Which one is this one? Inconsequential bell crack, some scratches from the lyre and a few stains. No cool ligature or MP. I think it will clean up OK.  :)

Interesting.  Neither my 2-20 nor Edgware have a logo on the lower joint.  If they weren't a bit worn, they would be very prominent on the upper joint, barrel and bell. 
To narrow it down, you'll need to check the bore size.  My 2-20 and the wood Edgware come in around .585", while the hard rubber Edgware is around .590".  These were considered their intermediate models.  Pro models the bore got larger, up around .600"
What little of the logo on yours, that I can make out, doesn't match either of mine. 
You have another puzzle to research.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
I can see a few additional post locking screws on that unmarked one than are on my Edgware. Soon I'll see them side by side. The serial suggests they are fairly far apart in production Here's what the serial looks like. The way they did markings could have changed to a simple printing that rubbed off instead of the deep embossing. It is so similar to the Edgware that it must be a 2-20 of some type.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »

That's an RK.  Depending upon which sources you trust, that's either a 1967 or a 1986 model.  I say it's from 1967.
I have a 2-20 from the the early 60s, and it's just great.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
OK, I found the 1967 source;- Gavin Dixon & Neil Raj. I think that seems more correct. I'll know more when it arrives. I think there are some marks on the upper joint in the usual place, I just can't see them clearly in the shadows of the photos.

I had the page on that one open and hadn't looked at the photos close until this morning. It's coming from Canada. I hope it doesn't take forever to get here.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »
You are going to love it. 
A lig can be had for relatively cheap.  So can the brown plastic cases, which I rather like.  You're not missing much on the mp, though.  They were rough cast, typically, and not very good until you got to the 10-10, or 926. 
Then again, you can use a standard mp on your 2-20, whereas the .600+" bore of the Imperial line required a large bore mp.
This 2-20 should have a .590 - 592" (15-15.05mm) bore.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
<<My 2-20 and the wood Edgware come in around .585", while the hard rubber Edgware is around .590".>>
Mechanic, does your HR model have mazak keys or Kell keys?