Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bb clarinet with tenor trombone duet . . .  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Bb clarinet with tenor trombone duet . . .
« on: September 20, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
Quick story, my son needs to catch up with other school band members. I offered to practice with him at home - my question is, do I play one tone higher than he is playing since both of our instruments are in Bb?

Forgive my lack of understanding, I have enough to digest with just the treble clef  :o
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Bb clarinet with tenor trombone duet . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
If both the instruments are in Bb, just read the line. There is a great deal of overlap in the range of a trombone and the lower range of the soprano clarinet. If you get to notes that are not playable on the clarinet, play them an octave higher, that is assuming you are playing clarinet and reading a chart for the trombone. If you are playing trombone and get to notes too high for the range, play them an octave lower. I hope that is helpful.

My guess is that a trombone can at least get up to the third space C in the treble clef. Most of the time you would be in unison and sometimes an octave apart.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 02:04:12 PM by Silversorcerer »
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: Bb clarinet with tenor trombone duet . . .
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
If both the instruments are in Bb, just read the line. There is a great deal of overlap in the range of a trombone and the lower range of the soprano clarinet. If you get to treble clef notes that are not playable on the trombone, play them an octave lower. I hope that is helpful.

Will try it tonight, thanks.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages