Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "It's on my 'watch list' but I won't buy it" . . . . . . . . .  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
 . . . . . . . well, maybe someday! Here's one that's always tempting me - it's just a couple of mouse clicks away. I bet it's fun to play too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232050735470?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

See, the problem is that there's too many 'diamonds in the rough' clarinets at the same price point if not cheaper . . . . .

Do any of you 'watch' items that you have no intention of purchasing?
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: "It's on my 'watch list' but I won't buy it" . . . . . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
Sometimes I watch things just to see how high the price will go, but other than that I'll only watch things i intend to purchase for hte most part.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
I would say watching things I'm not going to buy is a hobby of mine, for some reason... ???
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:54 PM »
Why would you buy a ticket to be in the audience if you are performing?  ??? Think about it just a little bit.
At the end, I'd rather be taking the bow than clapping. ;)

- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
Regarding the Woodi chalumeau:

"This Woodi Chalumeau is something entirely new."

I guess Michelle means it is not "used". It looks uncannily like the "used" one at the far right in this old photo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalumeau#/media/File:Bass,_Tenor,_Alto,_and_Soprano_Chalumeaux.jpg

I think the mouthpiece is on backward on the "new" one. I flipped mine over on the clarinet just to see what that is like. It's playable but I had to hold it at an odd angle.
This recalls the fellow who attempted to patent fanned frets on guitars until someone pointed out fanned frets were used on stringed instruments about 300 years ago or more. It's not really new and no he didn't get the patent.

Other than the fact that it's not a particularly original idea, it does appear to have pretty good value for the price for a "new" item. It's got a mouthpiece and at least as much wood and woodwork as a decent pear wood recorder. It does have the "fun" appeal, especially if you also enjoy the recorder.

I think it's definitely cool enough for a watch list. But I don't use the watch list feature unless it is something I am definitely not planning to buy. I tend to think of it as the decoy list.
Yeah, man, here's all the stuff I'm going to bid on, in case my bidding habits are of any interest to other bidders.  ;D By the way, what is everyone else interested in?  8) Maybe I should be bidding on that instead....

If I am watching it, should I put it on some kind of published list? I suppose it has its' conveniences, but mostly it seems like it might not be prudent. Even if it is called a watch list, watching is a different activity than publishing your private intentions.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum