Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1896 Buffet Carl Fischer Eb Resto opinions  (Read 5768 times)

Offline abellows

• View Profile
Re: 1896 Buffet Carl Fischer Eb Resto opinions
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 05:54:51 PM »
It is 16 1/2 inches to the top of the barrel.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
If all parts are original, that is very close to the same length (very slightly shorter) as the high pitch Lafayette Eb that I am currently working on. Not all high pitch clarinets are marked HP. It seems that in some cases, LP was the exception to the rule and thus the LP clarinets are usually marked. HP is what I assume on that era instrument unless marked otherwise or unless the dimensions match a known LP clarinet. With the C clarinets I have found slight differences in the lengths of the LP models that do not exceed the differences I have found in Bb LP clarinets. There can be other dimensional differences or variables particularly in what is considered "HP". The HP pitch standard was not as consistent as the LP standard, apparently.

This lends further support that HP instruments should not be considered obsolete, but should be used with instruments that can be tuned to match whatever the HP standard was for those instruments. This JTL you have can be easily used as an "E" clarinet and will be easier to play with guitars and other C instruments than an Eb clarinet. We are musicians. Transposing and tuning by ear should not be an impediment.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
ok, I finally had a chance to take this little guy out and figure some things out. Ok first A plays @ 451 Hertz which corresponds to English pitch 902 vibrations.  When I play C4 I get an E @ 337 Hertz which is roughly - 5 cents. When I play B3 I get Eb @ 317Hertz which is roughly -10 cents. G3 produces Bb @ 243 Hertz Which is roughly +33 cents. These little wooden mouthpieces are brutal! Now I'm going to need some maple syrup whiskey to soothe the numb lips. The sacrifices I make.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »
That sounds very encouraging and useful in the key of E for most of the range. I hope the Lafayette is that good when I get it done. It's in great shape other than the pads and corks but came with Geo.M. Bundy MP. The biggest obstacle so far is a stuck barrel that has not budged yet. These are tiny and mostly sockets on these eefers with a separate barrel. I dare not apply force and risk a split or crack on the barrel. I have saturated  the whole interface with bore oil so it should come loose eventually and resist moisture in the meantime. I'm going ahead with the pads with it stuck. It won't make any difference in how it plays or looks, it just won't come apart at the barrel.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum