Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Penzel mueller super brilliante  (Read 3636 times)

Offline abellows

• View Profile
Penzel mueller super brilliante
« on: November 05, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
Got a Super Brilliante a couple of days ago and started to bring it back to life. One thing the immediately jumped out at me was the quality of the wood. There are virtually no pores and is pitch black. Also the density of the wood is quite noticeable just by picking it up. It does have one broken key, which I am on the hunt for.  Its the D# and its broken at the key barrel. The rest of the arm and cup are missing. It was missing the ring on the lower joint and had some damage to the tenon under where the ring should have been, that has been fixed and ring replaced. I gave it an oil bath, polished the keys out and gilded the logos. I also sanded the body with 2000 grit and some good old olive oil to shine it up. I did try something new when I gilded it. I had decent results with a liquid paste gold leaf from Hobby lobby in the past. But it didn't seem to last very long at all. This time I gilded it then sealed it with some CA glue. Then I sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper. I also have never seen (probably due to lack of experience) the tiny ball bearings pressed into the body where the flat springs make contact.

I will attach a couple of pics.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Penzel mueller super brilliante
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
Moss will never grow underneath you feet, I suspect.  Good on you for jumping right in, so soon after its aquisition.
I have wanted a Brilliante or a Super Brilliante for some time now.  Argueably, it's perhaps the best clarinet made when it was made.
That key is going to take some real searching.
If you can find someone nice enough to do this, (and who has the same key) see if they will make a 3D scan of it (or send it to you so you can) and put it in a file for you.  This way, you can recreate it, do a reverse casting of it, and cast it in nickel silver.

I just attended a hands on seminar/workshop on 3D reconstruction printing for hard to find and obsolete musical instrument parts.  The above proposal may sound expensive, but it's surprisingly affordable, and will soon become the standard, I believe.  The main focus was mouthpieces (refacing, reconstruction, and the use of T-glase--a special polymer product that is FDA approved for oral use, but they also covered brasswind valves, and a lot of other things as well)  As an aside, I can now do a basic refacing on any mouthpiece (as soon as I purchase the measuring tools, that is.)
Regards-
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:45:16 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
Any clarinet with the name of "Super Brilliante" has got to be good . . . and then you have the Penzel Mueller name to back it up!

Nice work so far.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »
That might be an ebony clarinet. I have one recorder that is ebony and at first glance it appears to be black plastic because the grain is so tight. I think I only have one ebony JTL clarinet and the grain and wood is similarly dark and smooth.

When PM made the Super Brilliante model, they were making the very best and making these knowing these were the last PM clarinets. They built these to be the very best PM clarinets ever. Congratulations on the find;- these are quite rare. I added this one and your recent Artist to the serial time line. The Artist is (so far) the highest serial Artist before the "M" serial prefix appears. It is after the change in serial location and before the change in serial format. I will be interested to hear how different this Artist is from your Super Brilliante in playing character. My guess is that these two will be quite similar.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline KSCop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
I just won an auction for a Penzel Mueller Empire. Not quite the one you have, but I'm looking forward to getting it and completing the overhaul.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 06:03:20 PM »
Was that the one that sold on the goodwill site?

Offline KSCop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 06:27:30 PM »
Yes as a matter of fact it was. It is shipping out tomorrow.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 06:44:43 PM »
Glad you got it. Looked like a nice horn.

Offline KSCop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »
I'm hopeful. It looks good in the pics. It will get overhauled of course (all my auction finds do) but it should be worth it.

I've been burned on a few auctions - all looked good but they just happened to not take a photo of that broken tenon..
(But then I have a good lathe and can replace a tenon; just not work I planned on)

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »
Yes as a matter of fact it was. It is shipping out tomorrow.

That makes at least 3 of us here "watching" that one!
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages