Author Topic: Pitch curve chart  (Read 1424 times)

Offline abellows

• View Profile
Pitch curve chart
« on: December 03, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »
I threw together this chart where you can input the pitch variations and it throws it onto a line chart. Ill make the chart show what pitch variation is between both notes that the tone hole shares.
Then I should ( huge should at this point) be able to determine if the tone hole would benefit from undercutting or some other physical manipulation.

All of this is beyond my abilities, but I'm going to experiment on an old beat up horn and give it a whirl. Since I am not an experienced player I'm still working on my embouchure to get consistent results. But I'm making progress.

If you guys have any ideas or thoughts on stuff to add, or something that might make it better let me know.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: Pitch curve chart
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »
Wow, that looks real good. What program / software are you using?

Please don't modify an E11  :o  What horn gets the honor of "adjustments"?

It's great that your making progress on embouchure - Youtube is a great way to get help and for me, Michelle Anderson is now my go to instructor. I've learned much from her short videos. Here's a link if you're interested ; https://www.youtube.com/user/ClarinetMentors
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »
I just built it in Excel. I realized I should put a spot for barrel length, and if its pulled out and by how much. And some where to type in notes. None of the E11's are going under the grinder. lol

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »
Before you start working on the tone holes, please take the time to check your pad heights. 

Other than the holes you cover with your own fingers, the pitches of all notes can be affected by their associated pad heights - which of course have a different effect on the different twelfths that they influence in their position on the tube with the opening of the register key. 

It doesn't just affect stuffiness and tone quality, but pitch as well.

With that caveat, have yourself a field day and keep us informed.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »
Great point, I had searched for a key height standard to use as a starting point and could only find the Yamaha one. I found a lot of opinions but this was the only published standard that I came across. I have added it to the spread sheet, so once adjusted the value can be input and stored for future reference.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »
Wow, this is getting good. Excel is a good program.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages