Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Holton Collegiate, all metal..early serial # (14**) i know nothing about. Anybody?  (Read 5988 times)

luke

Can somebody give me some info on this piece..pls. Inherited it.

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
RE: Holton Collegiate, all metal
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
Thanks for joining in order to ask your question, Luke!

I suspect that the Collegiate metal clarinet will have also been made in Germany, like the wooden one reviewed here:
http://sites.google.com/a/clarinetpages.net/www/vintage-odd-brands/holton-collegiate

For value, it will be typical of the student level metal clarinets. If you eBay it, you can probably get $25 for it. It is worth more if you can turn it into a nice table lamp. If it has sentimental value, I suggest that displaying it is the best thing you can do, whether as a lamp or in some other creative way.

luke

RE: Holton Collegiate, all metal
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
Quote from: \'philpedler\' pid=\'300\' dateline=\'1354584455\'

Thanks for joining in order to ask your question, Luke!

I suspect that the Collegiate metal clarinet will have also been made in Germany, like the wooden one reviewed here:
http://sites.google.com/a/clarinetpages.net/www/vintage-odd-brands/holton-collegiate

For value, it will be typical of the student level metal clarinets. If you eBay it, you can probably get $25 for it. It is worth more if you can turn it into a nice table lamp. If it has sentimental value, I suggest that displaying it is the best thing you can do, whether as a lamp or in some other creative way.

it says elkhorn Wisconsin. It has no wood on it. The barrel is metal also, tarnished silver/ plated?? i\'ll try post a pic, thanks for the welcome !

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Hey Luke,  
I have seen several Collegiates on eBay, all going for betwene 20 and 70 dollars, as would be expected for a metal clarinet. It seems that many metal clarinets (and wood also) were made in Elkhorn, I guess because this was a popular clarinet making site, perhaps?
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Squeaky

• View Profile
RE: Holton Collegiate
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
Frank Holton & Co. achieved some success as a saxophone maker in the early- to mid- 20th century, and they parlayed their sax-building expertise into the manufacture of metal clarinets at their Elkhorn factory.  

Collegiate has always been the entry-level instrument in Holton\'s model range.  While some Collegiate brasswinds are actually pretty good, the Collegiate metal clarinets are generally regarded as being of mediocre quality.  They did make some metal clarinets NOT marked as Collegiates for the US Military which are said to be excellent.

As far as I\'m aware, all Holton metal clarinets were silver-plated.  As with their saxophones, rusting screws can be a problem.

Holton did not make many intermediate-level instruments.  There were a few Super Collegiate step-up instruments made, but anything not labeled Collegiate--such as Stratodyne or Revelation--was a professional instrument prior to their acquisition by LeBlanc USA in the early 1960s.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: Holton C
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
These guys come up on ebay all of the time and go for between 30 and 50, usually.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Squeaky

• View Profile
RE: Holton Collegiate
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
I find myself wondering what a Collegiate metal would be like in top playing condition.  Holton saxes have gotten something of a bum rap over the years but are enjoying a bit of a renaissance--their soprano saxes in particular--as interest in classic American saxophones continues to grow and players have discovered the unique sound of the Holton.  The Collegiate clarinet looks a bit more conical towards the bell end, and has a wider bell flare, than the average metal clarinet.