Author Topic: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread  (Read 26798 times)

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black • Hole Clarinets
Re: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »
After disassembly, I would use my electric toothbrush (my old one) with a silver polish cream possibly with a bit of dish soap mixed in, to remove grime and tarnish. I would test it somewhere on the back side, or on some old silver object first.

See our topic "Electric toothbrush cleans and polishes clarinet keys!"
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »
Great work, Windsong!

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
Most of the metal Premiere models have an identical stamping on the bell. The earliest one I've seen had a slightly more ornate engraved pattern, but the same nomenclature. The metal Premiere was introduced in February/March 1928.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigator™

Offline zms5063

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
Add one to the list, W23453... The Pedler Co Elkhart Indiana.... Custombuilt BBb Bass Custombuilt wood. Original Case, no cracks or major dents. Two piece construction with E-flat on bell and extended throat to accommodate automatic double register. Silver plated with engraved bell. Its my recent ebay find. Broken Touchpiece-for lower joint b-natural fork- currently looking for replacement key before having one rebuilt Looking to restore, was quoted $800 + $125 for a rebuilt touchpiece.

Offline Djudy

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Pedler and Co./The Pedler Co. Serial Number List
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2019, 04:53:14 AM »

If it helps, here's the starting and ending serials for every Pedler model I've recorded.

Metal
"Made by Harry Pedler & Co." professional model: 2847, 10075
"Made by Harry Pedler & Co." bass: 11490
Premiere : 3888, 15704
American, "Harry Pedler & Co.": 10728, 15711

I have recently acquired the metal Pedler American 10728; is this a Martin company or a Harry Pedler compagny instrument and is it considered a student instrument?  It's apparently in it's original case. No idea on the year however. It's got a stuffy lower register but is nice and full in the upper register, still looking for the right mpc to really see what it can do.

Offline Heavious

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
RE: N-SERIES
N24803..."The Pedler Co."...17/6 (UNICORN of the bunch.  Mis-recorded, or rarest of the Pedler breed?)[/i][/i]

I have one of the Pedler near-mythical N-series Bb sopranos.
It is serial number N24734

I got it early 1970s from extended family who were seeking a place for it to go to be played. My cousins were into sports so they directed it to our family. I was in 3rd grade at the time and was the only one in my family who could make any noise on it (mom & sister played violin). Thus I became a reed player.
The horn was not close to being new then, and no documents of origin came with it. [I'll have to ask my dad about its arrival route]
This was my main horn until I got an R-13 in 2002.
It was always a pretty solid horn for me. Improved with a better than the stock mouthpiece (a white plastic one that I still have somewhere...)
The Nickel-plated keywork shows plenty of wear.

Always have wondered the age of this horn. And from this history lesson that is still a bit of a mystery... as is the horn itself, apparently.

Offline Heavious

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
...and the other pictures I took of the horn N24734

Offline cbien

• Newbie of the newbies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2020, 12:04:03 PM »
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie in the great world of the Clarinet but I try to learn since a week.

My grandfather gave me years ago a Pedler clarinet (metal, serial number 45686).
Recently, a friend of mine working at Buffet Crampon replaced some corks and springs and cleaned the body.

Here are some pictures below

I wonder where can I find some informations on this clarinet...

Thanks for your help
Seb

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2020, 12:54:14 AM »
Welcome!!

Lovely clarinet. Your friend did a great job. The corks might need some replacing but otherwise it looks great!

Not all Pedler clarinets were marked with “US” so it might be a military issue
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
Almost certainly a U.S. military-issue instrument, and likely from the late 1940s given the serial number. It might be the "professional" model - student-level Pedlers typically had the left hand levers mounted on the same set of posts.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigator™

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
Re: Harry Pedler and Co./The Pedler Co. Serial Number List
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
I have recently acquired the metal Pedler American 10728; is this a Martin company or a Harry Pedler compagny instrument and is it considered a student instrument?  It's apparently in it's original case. No idea on the year however. It's got a stuffy lower register but is nice and full in the upper register, still looking for the right mpc to really see what it can do.
Hard to tell for certain, but likely Martin-era.

I believe it's a student instrument, as the left-hand levers are mounted on the same set of posts - which appears to be a common feature of the less-expensive metal Pedler models.

(The American was later been promoted to intermediate-grade, with the levers mounted separately and a little bit of engraving on the bell.)

Offline Heavious

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2020, 01:07:28 PM »
In August 2019 I bid on (and unfortunately lost) a Metal Eb Pedler Premier. It was listed with SN 4256.
The info provided on the site did not include any background on the horn itself.
I am including the photos from the bid site.

At that same time there were separate auctions (on another platform) for a metal bass as well as a metal alto clarinet. If I had crazy available $ I could have had an entire of metal Pedlers!
[In hindsight, I should have grabbed pix of the bass or alto too...]

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2020, 06:10:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It's not too often you see a metal clarinet with a special badge like that on the bell. That must have been a REALLY nice example for sure!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »
Hello all-
I recently had a request for information regarding the manufacture of Harry Pedler clarinets in keys other than Bb.  Here are photos from my 1924 brochure:
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.