Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread  (Read 70784 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2023, 06:27:16 PM »
The bell came today.  It certainly says Harry Pedler & Co. and HP.  The engraving was type set, and is in the same general font and depth.  While HP may just be his initials, and a first attempt at a logo, it was at a time when that would have confused a good many, I reckon.

We may be no further forward, but this certainly is interesting and unique, and another piece of the puzzle:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 01:01:07 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2023, 11:55:36 AM »
I'm sure the HP monogram caused some confusion with the HP for high pitch stamps that were common back in the days of the HP-LP schism.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2024, 06:33:59 PM »
Yes--it is baffling, but Mr. Pedler may have been a man who thrived on making people scratch their heads.  I just posted to the Henry Gunkel thread for the first time in 6 years, having caught that Harry Pedler also was Henri Farny--at least for some of the production.  And also Lafayette, and also Le Premier Francais, and who knows what all else he stenciled.

Why such a fascination with French sounding names for his clarinets?  As an Englishman, perhaps he was well versed with French clarinets from a geographically "local" perspective, and thought highly of them.  Or--perhaps he wanted to sell clarinets, and knew of Americans' preference for French made clarinets.  So many curiosities!

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unibody Rosewood Soprano
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2024, 06:55:35 PM »
One of the most interesting Harry Pedlers came to me a few weeks ago, and is a real gem.  The Unibody is what sold me, and this is one of only two Harry Pedlers that I have paid real money for.  I would have bought it if it had been dropped out of a plane, kicked backwards down 4 flights of stairs and set afire, so I was REALLY pleased when it came to me in such incredible shape.

There are some true curiousities with this one.  First and formost it is made of Rosewood (Grenadilla bell and nicely chamferred Hard Rubber barrel, like Harry Pedler's Albert System clarinets of the same vintage.)

Have a gander at the C#/G# key touch and it's location.  It IS articulated, but not in the common sense, and does not have the alternate sliver actuator.  It is however articulated by way of the piggy-back mechanism on the upper and lower bridge keys.  Fascinating!  I have only ever seen LH5 C# pivoted from the RH side of the clarinet to make up the top part of the 4 key cluster.
I really do hope this one is a fantastic player.  The key joint is exceptional.  I plan to do all of the cleaning and disassembly, oiling, polishing and corkwork, and have my pro shop pad, felt and set this one up for me.  It's just too rare for me to want to fumble on.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 08:36:39 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2024, 08:04:56 PM »
Rocket,
I was interested to learn of the correlation with Getzen.  The Harry Pedler directly above came to me in a very spiffy Getzen case, and seems right at home.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 12:35:15 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2024, 01:49:22 PM »
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:51:30 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2024, 08:34:32 PM »
While snippets of suspected Harry Pedlers and his stencils have been shown previously, I thought I would show two clarinets side by side: a Pedler-Gonert ABC with a Wrap-Around Register key and no markings of any kind, and one of the early 1923-1930 straight key variants prominently stamped on the barrel, bell and top joint with "Harry Pedler & Co."  Keywork is nigh identical, and most is interchangeable between posts.  A keen eye will spot some subtle changes in keywork, as Harry Pedler never stopped tinkering, improving, and perfecting. 

There was some experimentation with tone hole diameter and location, and barrel length changes (57mm-72mm) among the many originals I now have, which is why it would be hard to part with any of them.  Collectively, they tell a story, no differently than chapters which comprise a book do.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 10:25:18 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2024, 09:08:44 PM »
And here is the Harry Pedler, (Gronert-Pedler "ABC", ca. 1916-1918) next to a Conn from 1918.  Note the difference in the register key form.  Conn's is more Gothic, while Harry's is fluid, organic.
Interestingly, Conn's Gothic register key was indeed also one of Harry's designs that he would use again only on Albert system horns in his own name until 1923 or so.  Other notable differences between Conns and Harrys are distances between posts, as well as pad cup diameter.  Conn went big!:  Bigger pad cups and notably larger tone holes on the lower joint than Harry's offerings. 

Nevertheless, the striking similarity in keywork can be directly attributed to Harry's heavy involvement in Conn's clarinet design through 1914.

Another feature of early Harry Pedler clarinets that becomes a dead give-away is the top joint trill guides.  Even from the earliest days, Harry used 2;  one with just 1 siderail, and one that enveloped the top trill. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:05:48 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2024, 09:48:13 PM »
By what I believe to be 1919, Harry and Gronert had added an A adjustment screw, and stopped using the wrap around register key on Boehm System clarinets.  On Alberts, the wrap around key remained until 1923 or so.  I have a Harry Pedler Albert system top joint, believed to be from 1924-1925, with a modern, straight register key in Hard Rubber.  It is stamped with the 2nd generation logo (oval with lyre crown), and has the serial number of 762.   The top joint's keys remained largely unchanged, otherwise.  The lower joint saw changes to its mechanism, with the very first (but certainly not exclusive) use of The Pedler Appliance, as well as thicker keywork.  Harry's "crowsfoot" was actually rather more like a "parakeet perch" crossbar, which was another trademark indicator.  The rings were all still very light, delicate and quick, but the pad cup arms became thicker, as did the sliver keys. 

Here is the 1916-1918 ABC Gronert-Pedler beside a 1919 ABC Gronert-Pedler, which is also not marked Harry Pedler except for on the bell.  Socket rings all match each respective horn, and so does the color of the Hard Rubber, leaving little doubt (to me, anyway) as to the relationship to each clarinet.
Harry Pedler was also known for using very wide lipped bell rings, and both examples here share that, too.

Harry Pedler and William Gronert seemed to be heavily invested in cutting-edge keywork development in these years:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 08:25:41 AM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2024, 10:06:10 PM »
So, what are these ABCs?  Prototypes?  Dealer samples?  Experiments that got pushed into a corner for nearly 100 years?  Were any ever stamped?  Did they ever release them to the public, or was this a time to proverbially sharpen saw blades to launch into the market well ahead of contemporaries? 

I can say this:  The above two are extremely nice.  They both have the notorious soft nickel keys, but they are remarkably well and equally preserved.  Key wear is very light, the hard rubber is vibrant and solid with no notable abuse, and both came from the same source at the same time. 

By 1916, Harry Pedler had 31 years of experience in the Clarinet manufacturing business.  Of all firms he may have found himself at, Rudall Carte and Co. proved an ideal firm by which to establish solid credentials. 

There will always be those who will say what they will about Harry Pedler (and Charlie Conn) Hard Rubber clarinets, but unless used for baseball bats, they have already abundantly demonstrated that they are good for an easy 100+ years, and there is no reason to assume they cannot survive another century or more.

Now that you know what to look for, you may find an unmarked Gronert-Pedler yourself for chump change.  Keep your eyes peeled!  🧐

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:13:28 PM by Windsong »

Offline Alfearless

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2024, 11:18:53 AM »
A while since I posted.
Just taken my 'frozen' metal Pedler out of the acetone/transmission fluid cocktail and thought might be of interest to some here.

Hoping to be at last able to get the keys off and get on with a refurb.

Serial 3902, making it quite early in your list for metals.

Can supply more pics if of interest

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2024, 08:45:12 PM »
Hey--that is an early one!  1920s for sure.  I would love to see more photos, but please tell us about this Transmission fluid/acetone bath!  I love old hacks.  They tend to be the best.

Offline Alfearless

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2024, 09:54:53 AM »
Well this recipe for freeing up seized nuts/bolts etc. is mentioned in a Youtube video by a sax/clarinet repair guy who keeps the Army's instruments
going. It's also a known ruse in the automobile world (acetone being most easily found as nail polish remover).

A local boat engine guy suggests diesel as being a good option. Sounds a bit drastic in our field of endeavour.

Thankfully the Pedler doesn't appear to have suffered any side-effects from almost 8 years of immersion -
pretty sure the body looked lacking in silver plate like that when it arrived here
I've not yet attempted any screw/rod removal.

Another Youtuber is 'Project Farm', who I think is pretty thorough and scientific.
He features one on the various methods/products available and concludes that nothing beats good old heat.
Sadly, we don't have that option to any great extent with our soldered pillars/posts etc. being at risk of dropping off from the body.

A few more photos as requested.

Offline Alfearless

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2024, 10:28:09 AM »
Struggling re. attachments. Perhaps too large?