Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread  (Read 33139 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »
Picture uploaded for posterity
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Grimble

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
This is my clarinet that I have been trying to identify. I know its not cleaned up. Its metal and I do hope to get it restored once I know what to do.  My daughter received it, though she plays the alto sax.  5316 is on the back and I see no letters.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:57:39 AM by Grimble »

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2021, 05:49:26 PM »
 This is one of the better, intermediate to advanced student model clarinets of the late 1930s-1940s, but it was made prior to WWII, by Martin Band Instrument Co., as determined by the key work.  The keys all appear to be intact, and not malformed, and the finish is not bad either.  Thank you for sharing that.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
That looks nice. I have a thing for metal claris. Would love to find one someday
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline dho

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2021, 11:13:35 PM »
Hello Pedler people,

Today I bought Pedler clarinet P6618 at an estate sale.  I think the case is not original.  I'm a total newbie.  How do I tell if the pads are still good?  The keys seem to mechanically work ok.  Does this horn need to be re-furbished?  I'm gonna try to attach some pictures.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2021, 11:35:52 PM »
Hello Pedler people,

Today I bought Pedler clarinet P6618 at an estate sale.  I think the case is not original.  I'm a total newbie.  How do I tell if the pads are still good?  The keys seem to mechanically work ok.  Does this horn need to be re-furbished?  I'm gonna try to attach some pictures.

This is going to sound stupid, but the easiest way to tell if pads are good is to put a reed on and blow into it...

Offline Dalfie

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
I have recently acquired a Pedler bass clarinet that I thought you might like to include in your data, and perhaps you might tell me a little about it. I have not cleaned it up yet, I hope to do so after I have a better idea what I actually have.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:31:29 PM by Dalfie »

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2021, 04:55:31 AM »
Fascinating!  I have never seen an all-metal Bass clari net from Harry Pedler.  The serial number is rather high, so I wonder if these were made for a few years for marching bands, or the like.  Thank you for sharing sharing that.  I certainly think it's worthy of restoration, and it pre-dates 1938.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2021, 07:20:13 AM »
I am the bass clarinet maestro. If you ever want it restored let me know!

Those are very rare. I believe I’ve seen one other example before. All metal bass in general are impossible to find, so congrats!

Offline Dalfie

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
Thank you for the info, if it is very rare for bass clarinets to be metal, that explains why I've had so much difficulty pinpointing information about it. I know its history back to when it was purchased by the previous owner in 1946, but I have no idea what its story is before that - and I don't know of any way to find out. I know it has been played pretty regularly until the past few years, and it was dearly loved. It is going to be a couple months before I have time to work with it, and I hope you don't mind if I come up with questions! Of course, if you want more pictures, I can arrange that.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Harry Pedler & Co./ Metal bass clarinet
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
More questions, yes! And more photos! I'm doing a different bass restoration, and we all learn together.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline Mike

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »
I am fascinated with the depth of knowledge about Harry Pedler and his clarinets.  I have one that seems to fit into your discussion.  I believe it is of rosewood.  It is "Harry Pedler & Co. Elkhart Ind." in an oval with a lyre on top.  The imprints are very crisp with sharp sides.  Only the barrel and the bell are marked, but the wood appears consistent in all the parts.  On the lower RH joint, it is marked "#12".  The # appears to have been engraved or scratched in and it is very nicely done, and the 12 is stamped.  With the discussion of the serial numbers, i thought this may be of interest to someone.  I am curious whether this horn may contribute to your evidence base.  I am looking forward to getting it cleaned and padded to hear what it sounds like.  Thank you.

Offline Epicness937

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »
So I just stumbled upon this thread looking for any information I could find on one of these clarinets so I must say this forum has been incredibly helpful. I recently got my hands on a hard rubber Harry Pedler Eb clarinet I am in the process of repadding. It's missing a register vent, F thumb tube, and barrel so it's not entirely original but I will make sure to post some information about it here when I am through to contribute to the history of this thread!

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2021, 06:23:26 PM »
I appreciate the new contributions and interest in Harry Pedler, folks.  Epicness937-- If you got that Eefer from that famous auction site, I saw it.  Pedler Eefers are difficult to find, and I have only ever seen a couple, and have never handled one.  Congrats!  Regarding the missing register vent, you might be able to modify some other salvage Pedler for it.  I do not recall:  Is it a wrap-around or a rear-mount modern style?  The F thumb vent should not be hard to replace, as it can be cut from tube stock.   Regarding the barrel, finding a Harry Pedler Eb one will prove rather challenging, but if memory serves, yours came with a C.G.Conn barrel, and that is as close to original as is needed, since Harry Pedler probably made (or at least designed) that one too, anyway, and it is quite likely an intonational "perfect match".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:46:26 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2021, 07:04:01 PM »
About a month ago, I was browsing Ebay for Harry Pedler clarinets, and unmarked Albert System clarinets as I do when time permits.  I stumbled upon a curiosity, and I knew at once what I was viewing.  Interestingly, the keywork configuration was intriguing. While Harry Pedler was not seemingly very interested in serializing his own clarinets (I would love to know why, as his contemporaries certainly did), he was very diligent about stamping his name into mouthpieces, bells and barrels, and to a lesser degree--top joints.   This particular clarinet is missing all branding, bears no serial number, and is neither a Model 152 (2 ring, non-roller pinky keys), Model 1544 ( 4 ring, non-roller pinky keys), or a Model 1554 (5 ring, full-roller).  It is instead a 4 ring, full roller pinky key model, made of Ebonite (of course).  This "hybrid" model is not listed as an offering from Harry Pedler in any literature I possess or can find.  It would, however, have been regarded as rather advanced for 1916, before full Albert System clarinets evolved to 5 rings.  So, is it a Gronert?    We may never know,  but my guess is that it could well be, and is at the very least, one of Harry Pedler's first efforts.   Perhaps this one was made by a factory worker who wanted a "one-off" model, or perhaps it was intended to be made for branding as a stenciled clarinet.  Harry Pedler had several stenciled and pseudonym labels in the early years.  Of the dozen or so original pre-1931 Harry Pedlers I now have, it is the only one without any logo, and I very nearly missed adding it to my collection, but for a rather unusual second chance.

Harry Pedler's first logo was the Diamond pattern.  It was short lived, and I have seen no evidence of it having been used after the wrap-around register key was discontinued in 1923 or 1924. On the left, you will see my Model 152, so adorned with the diamond logo, as well as the "Kesselman, O'driscoll Cō. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Distributors" stamp on the bell.  In the center is my Model 1544, also with the diamond logo.  On the right is my newest acquisition;  a full-roller Model 1544, sans logo. Frankly, It is a bit of a mess, but the keys are intact, despite most springs being frozen or inoperable.  The body is unbroken, and the hard rubber looks very good, despite being faded in places.  It will restore nicely, I believe. 
View the keywork, and you will quite clearly see that it can be none other than Harry's work.  Is this an authentic "AMC", made between 1916-1919 or an early Harry Pedler and Co. made between 1919 and 1923? You be the judge:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:52:15 AM by Windsong »