Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread  (Read 37782 times)

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2021, 07:28:45 PM »
Mike:  Please post photos.  I would love to see your clarinet.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Catherine

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2021, 06:29:45 PM »
Hi, I am in New Zealand and have a Pedler Clarinet serial number P16925 and the original case.  I am no expert in instruments and it was my daughter who played both clarinet and bassoon at school, but no longer plays and has left home.  I am wanting to sell it but have no idea of its value.  I also would like it to go to someone who would appreciate its value and derive some pleasure from it.  I just thought you'd be interested since I came across this forum and saw that you've been compiling all the Pedler clarinets and their serial numbers.  I'll try to attach a couple of photos.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 06:32:19 PM by Catherine »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2021, 09:17:02 PM »
Nice clarinet! Great period case too. I love that nice 40-50s style.

That clarinet is a LONG way from home, with the case badge as Indiana Music Co!

I confess I don't know any clarinetists in your neck of the woods, and shipping to America would be prohibitive. Value in this condition is relatively low, maybe $50-75 (in America) but I don't really know what the clarinet market is like in NZ.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline cclontz

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2021, 07:07:31 AM »
I'm trying to identify a Harry Pedler metal "Student" clarinet I have and determine it's value. The serial number appears to be 3008?? The bell engraving looks much different than other photos I find online and I'm not sure what the name for this design is. Most of the engraving on the bell appears to be done by hand. I don't know too much about it otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
In all likelihood, that's an early one made under Pedler ownership.

When the Pedler metal clarinet was introduced in 1927, the only two models available were "Professional" and "Student".
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢

Offline cclontz

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »

When the Pedler metal clarinet was introduced in 1927, the only two models available were "Professional" and "Student".

Thank you very much for providing more information on my clarinet. Do you have any idea what it might be valued at or where I might start as far as pricing it? I have not been able to find any similar HP sales to compare it to.

Again, thank you.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2021, 10:52:36 AM »

Thank you very much for providing more information on my clarinet. Do you have any idea what it might be valued at or where I might start as far as pricing it? I have not been able to find any similar HP sales to compare it to.

Again, thank you.

Value won't be too high. As a "Student" is naturally worth less than if it was not a "Student."

Metal clarinet market is good as dead, though I suspect you might be able to sell it for about $100 since it appears to be in very good condition.

Offline cclontz

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »

Again, thank you.

Value won't be too high. As a "Student" is naturally worth less than if it was not a "Student."

Metal clarinet market is good as dead, though I suspect you might be able to sell it for about $100 since it appears to be in very good condition.

Thank you.

Offline Kat929805

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Pedler and Co./The Pedler Co. Serial Number List
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2021, 02:37:00 PM »

I am just looking for information. My Dad played this clarinet all the way through his college days and I just want to get more of the history on it before I take it to be refurbished. I found it hidden away on a shelf in the back of his closet. The serial number I found on it is E30224. On the bell it has The Pedler CO Elkhart Ind. In an oval with a Lyre crown. If anyone can give me any more information I would be grateful. Thanks

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2021, 03:24:33 PM »
Oh yes, it's absolutely worth overhauling. It is an old-version Pedler Co. that is a wonderful instrument, based on their older design and superior to the later ones they made. It's made of ebonite (hard rubber) with un-plated German silver keys. It has a large bore which helps make it easy-blowing and just all-around fine. I had one just like it that I restored and sold to a happy client.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline sisface23

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I found this Harry Pedler "Covertype" metal plateau clarinet at an antique store a couple of weekends ago. The engraving on the bell says "Pedler, Covertype, Harry Pedler Co, Elkhart IND." The engraving is inside a shield-shaped outline. I believe it is silver due to tarnishing, but I don't know if it is silver plate or full silver.
Serial number 18XXX.
The plateau keys immediately caught my attention. I mainly play saxophone, but I started out on the clarinet. To me, the most annoying thing about the clarinet is squeaking due to not completely covering the key holes, so I was really excited to see the closed keys. Plus, I love to push the buttons :D

Anyway, I didn't buy it at first because it is not in playing condition. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem damaged, but the pads have disintegrated away and some are completely missing. I wasn't sure the value of the clarinet, the cost of overhaul, or if this clarinet could even be repaired. I went home and called my local repair guy, and he said he could repair it, but it will likely cost more than the clarinet is worth, he said he wouldn't pay more than $50 for it and they make good lamps. I'm sure you have all heard that before....

I continued to do research and found out that metal plateau clarinets are rare and desirable (I sure wanted it!). I couldn't stop thinking about the thing and after doing more research and talking to a few more repair people, I decided to call the antique shop to see if it was still there.  I thought it would be gone for sure after the Black Friday crowd rolled through, but it was still there! They were asking $250 and they accepted my $150 offer. It came with the original lyre and also guarantee bond certificate. They said it was the original sales receipt signed by Harry Pedler, but it is obviously not a sales receipt. I saw a previous post where someone has the same guarantee certificate and same signature. Not sure if it is Harry's or not. Does this add to the value at all, and/or does it help date the instrument?

I would love more info on this clarinet and to see if we can narrow down what year it might be from. From what I have read, it sounds like it was likely made pre 1937, but not sure how much earlier...also, do you think this is a pro or student model?

I am taking it in for an overhaul soon, maybe this weekend. I'll post more pics afterwards. I can't wait to play it!

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:52:26 PM by sisface23 »

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »
With a guarantee like that, what'ya got to lose? Looks wonderful!
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
It came with the original lyre and also guarantee bond certificate. They said it was the original sales receipt signed by Harry Pedler, but it is obviously not a sales receipt. I saw a previous post where someone has the same guarantee certificate and same signature. Not sure if it is Harry's or not. Does this add to the value at all, and/or does it help date the instrument?

I can't say what it adds for monetary value, but it's definitely an interesting and uncommon thing to have.

The signature definitely helps date it, if you can determine whose signature it is. Harry Pedler and his son left the company in spring of 1931, after which Louis H. Hombs was appointed executive manager. At some point between 1932 and 1937, he was replaced by J.O. Thompson.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2021, 10:06:10 PM »
Not sure what planet your repair guy is living on if he wouldn't pay $50 for it.

Metal plateaus are quite unusual, and there is a thriving collector market for these. I don't think several hundred dollars is out of the question in this condition.

Offline sisface23

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »

The signature definitely helps date it, if you can determine whose signature it is. Harry Pedler and his son left the company in spring of 1931, after which Louis H. Hombs was appointed executive manager. At some point between 1932 and 1937, he was replaced by J.O. Thompson.

The last name on the signature is Pedler. It looks like the first initial is an "S" though, so that is why I am not sure if Harry actually signed it. His son had the same name as him and I'm not sure if he had any other family members working for him.