Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread  (Read 70774 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Pedler & Co./The Pedler Co. Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 08, 2024, 04:12:01 PM »
Harry had two early LJ sliver B pad cup arms. 

The first design, which covered the full run of the rod, before pitching up and outward, was thinner, more graceful.  It saw use until the wrap-around register key was abandoned in late 1923, or thereabouts.

The second design came directly out, away from the rod, and then pitched up.  You will note it is with these changes that the original Harry Pedler keywork became more robust.  The molecular composition remained little changed, as the keywork was still softer than most competitors.  Some keywork is theoretically interchangeable between posts.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:27:27 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline ghoulcaster

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2024, 12:10:53 AM »
Good eye, that is curious.
When was the later change t individual posts for the trill keys and the Eb/Ab key? (Which technically infringed the last page of Leblanc’s 1932 patent hehe) https://patents.google.com/patent/US1926489A/en)

How is that full Boehm Pedler? I’m still hoping to eventually get one of those cool later ones but I’d like to get at the very least a seven ring model since that fork is so ingrained in my muscle memory now.  No rush… ;D
Those later ones also look nickel plated, like some Conns.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2024, 03:10:04 PM »
Harry Pedler had individual lower joint trill posts on his higher quality metal clarinets, yet never on his highest quality wooden or Hard Rubber horns.   I do not believe assigning all 6 trills a unique post took root until the late 30s.

Good to know whom I can bequeath things to. 😉  I have not gotten started on the gem yet, but I play its younger brother weekly.  I have had all manner of unexpected surprises this season, but I hope to have it buttoned up by year's end.

Many of the Martin Pedlers (MP) were often nickel or silver plated.  Some were also bare nickel silver.  Unless he did a one or two-off for advertising or royalty, HP's horns were always unplated nickel silver.  It tarnished evenly, and was easily brought back to luster.  It was delicate, too.  Martin remedied that, a bit.  It's not that HP couldn't have changed his formula.  He evidently preferred soft keys.  If one is careful, they don't bend, and if one has a mishap, it can quickly be rectified without having to take the horn in.  They were shock absorbent, forgiving.

I have an aversion to silver keywork, as it always looks awful, save for the 1st week after polishing. MBIC charged for, and offered a few plating options.  I have a brochure from January 1935 (using the Harry Pedler & Co moniker, still), listing prices for upgrades and replacements:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:09:20 AM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2024, 10:12:06 PM »
Alfearless,
That is a nice early HP&Co.  Well worth your time and effort.