Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Searching for a new "seat"  (Read 2429 times)

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
Searching for a new "seat"
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »
As many of you know, I play in a horseback band. I have ridden many horses in it over the last 32 yeras, but the time has come to find a new one. In the past, we had several at home to choose from. I am now down to one and he has a bad back now.

Let me tell you, a good "seat" is hard to find and is a scary business.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Searching for a new "seat"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »
I can only imagine that choosing the wrong "seat" could end rather miserably.  It is not every animal that is acclimated (or at the very least tolerant) to the noise we humans can render, and finding an 1100lb equine creature (that can easily unseat and crush you) of such an easy-going bent must be even more tricky.   

For whatever reason you are searching for a new companion leads me to believe you've had to say goodbye to an old one, which I also assume may have been difficult, and I am sorry for your loss, whatever that may mean.
May you find a well-mannered, good-spirited and faithful companion soon.
Cheers-
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »
Animals can be our dearest friends and companions and the experiences we share with them as rich as anything we share with other humans, and sometimes because of their special capabilities, even richer. I wouldn't pretend to know the first thing about horses or how to find an appropriate new seat.

I would encourage you to remain in contact with your old friend, and perhaps play some tunes for it's ears when you can. Just as you will miss the horse,  the horse will miss the experience of riding with the other horses and hearing the band and it would likely enjoy your visits.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
Sounds to me that you will want to spend lots of time with that new 'seat'.
And when you make the decision, please send me a new picture!

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
I got a new horse! I am 52 years old and have never gotten to choose my own horse! I grew up in a horse family. I rode the family's horses until I was 12. Then Grandpa picked out an unbroke colt for me. I had Blue for 34 years, until he died at age 38. After he died, my mom found  a lovely old guy for me to use in mounted band, but he died after only 1 1/2 years. Other than that, I have ridden the horses we got for our kids. Chunk, the one we have now, is my daughter's. He hurt his back several years ago and it now hurts him to be ridden. We have had him for 12 years. He is going to live with a friend that has 2 acres and a horsy friend. He will be the personal jungle gym for 6 little kids. I hope he will be blissful in his senior years.

My new one, Chico, will get here Friday evening. We had to drive over 4 hours to try him out, so it is quite a process to get him home. One can't just stick a samp on their hiney and shove them in a mailbox.

I will attach some photos, I hope. The first is Blue and I when we both in our 20s. The bass drum horse was also ours. The next is Chunk, my daughter's horse, and I a couple of years ago. The last is my new horse, Chico.

One of my interview questions for all of the horses I tried was, "What is your favorite kind of music?". None seemed to have much of an opinion.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:55:47 AM by bbrandha »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Here's my Horsemanship merit badge from boy scouts!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »
Horses are truly works of nature's art. I am happy for both Chico, Chunk, and your family for having this association with such creatures. I am reminded of Lyle Lovett's song about a pony and a boat;- such a worthy fantasy.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum