Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clarinet Value?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline zechdavid

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Clarinet Value?
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:05:38 AM »
I have a wood Selmer clarinet.  The serial number is P9059.  The stamp on the upper joint reads Depose, and the Henri Selmer logo followed by France. If I have it restored, what will be the approximate value?  Thank you.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Clarinet Value?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
"Restored" can mean a lot of different things depending on the current condition of the instrument and the result. Both will influence the "value", which is a term that also needs clarification. If you mean value in $$, the best indicator is what a similar instrument in the same "restored" condition sold for lately. There are probably a few records of these on the recently sold listings of auction sites, but the price paid will certainly vary according to many different parameters, only one of which is the condition of the instrument. With such an instrument, I would try to find several recent records and pay attention to how long these were listed, how well documented these were, as well as the condition. The only way to be absolutely sure of the $$ value of something is to sell it and see what you get.

Paris Selmer instruments in that serial range are usually the Centered-tone model, which is highly publicized as Benny Goodman's choice of instrument. Typically this adds some extra $$ value over other clarinets that were not endorsed by Goodman. It is presently considered more of a big band model, although its' use in the symphony is also well documented. It is worth noting that Goodman had a long career, and this instrument was not produced until late in his career. It therefore cannot be the model that made him famous. It's the other way around. He made this model famous.

The only way to know the intrinsic value it has as a musical instrument is to play it in a for pay context. I think that $$ value and intrinsic value as a tool for producing music are sometimes independent values. If a musician can earn $25/hr. with a $50 instrument, perhaps that one is more valuable than a $500 instrument that allows him to earn the same $25/hr. The only way the larger investment is displaced is if it appreciates over time, or guarantees him a higher pay rate. An expensive instrument is no guarantee of a higher pay rate. If the $50 instrument can only return $50 after it's use is over and the $500 instrument can return $1500, then perhaps the greater investment was more valuable.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »
It's a little tough to say since selling values are all over the place, but I would think somewhere in the $500-$700 range sounds about close.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
Follow this listing and see what happens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311951932408?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

It is not a full restoration, but serviced and in good playing condition, according to the seller.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
I had to go digging in my email but I was sure that I had restored and sold a CT for a client once.
Turns out I did.
In September 2016, I restored a Selmer Centered Tone for $650 including shipping.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States