Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So I've got a bass with no peg ...  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
So I've got a bass with no peg ...
« on: September 21, 2017, 10:00:57 PM »
So the bass has no peg, some Noblets did not come with a peg assembly soldered to the bell.
Any suggestions, other than taking steroids to get a neck like a pro wrestler so i can support the bass for more than ten minutes?  Obviously at home, i can put a pillow on a box or something, but I'd like something a bit more polished for the real world.  I'd also like to avoid soldering on an aftermarket assembly, which are available.   
A friend said that "soldering" the assembly on with a kind of epoxy found in the plumbing department would probably work, and i found mention of that method working when i googled this dilema.
Some other ideas was using a guitars footrest, which is like a tiny footstool that folds and is adjustable in height, and then padding it a bit to protect the bow of the bell.  I could strap it to the case, i suppose.
Another idea i thought of was a bari sax stand.  Hamilton makes one with wheels that is intended to stay strapped to the instrument, and then support it as a stand so you can double on another instrument quickly.  I've never seen one in person, only pictures, but bassonists also use that bari stand, so i read.
I even saw where someone padded the top of an old car jack thing, made like a cradle on top.  It looked like the supports we'd put at the corners of our camper to stabilize it, but small.
Hiring someone to stand there and hold if for me is out, probably too expensive and I'm in no position to offer health insurance and a retirement plan.  I also don't have the time to screen all the applicants that would be clambering for the job, either.  Way to busy scanning the internet and thrift stores for neglected, broken and abused clarinets.
i really like the Hamilton bari stand idea, if anyone has seen one and has an opinion on that, I'd like to hear it.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: So I've got a bass with no peg ...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:18:46 PM »
A popular method is tsimply to rest it in the case
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
My Harry Pedler originally had the peg brackets on the joint, but then got a nice Selmer type bracket added to the bell. It was done well enough to look original. I had to get a replacement rod for it. I think it was under $20.

The pegs are pretty good but a little on the wobbly side, IMO. Stephen Fox makes some interesting accessories for basses.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »
My Noblet has the original peg guide and peg clamp on the back (but offset to the right(?)) of the bottom joint.  My sometimes-standmate's Noblet had the original guide removed and filled.  It has a bell-mounted peg clamp added. 
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline super20dan

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 07:00:06 PM »
i have the  hamilton bari stand and there is no way to attach it to the bass bell or body. its just not desighned for this. it also has a huge footprint you fellow band mates wont appreciate. just get a reciever and peg and have a tech solder it on. i had this done to my leblanc and i could never got back to playing with out a peg. i used to bring books to stack up before i got the peg. getting  a peg for my alto next.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 01:14:21 AM »
When I was in marching band in high school, I wanted to be extra Macho and thus marched for hours at a time resting my bass sorely on my right thumb. Funny enough, I've developed thumb joint problems since then that I 100% attribute to that misguided attempt at impressing the girls.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States