Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New interpretations for old problems  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
New interpretations for old problems
« on: October 26, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
Back in my day, we called these (very) poorly repaired cracks, not deep scratches.  It appears the goop that was placed over the crack...er, "deep scratch" was just not finished before being painted with a sharpie.
In my line of work, doing trim carpentry, I will often use a little caulk to fill in "scratches".  Perhaps that's what was used, and hopefully the elastomeric weatherproof variety, so the "deep scratches" don't return.  Do you suppose roof tar, toothpaste or American Cheese might work too, in a pinch?  (Never actually tried any of those yet, but there's still time, thankfully, as I'm a bit shy of retirement age.)

I reckon the little round circles we see adjacent to the deep scratches are not filled pinning holes, but rather old unneeded lyre holder sockets, placed strategically for ergonomic versatility.

It's good the seller took it to a pro.  I agree that fixing a stripped screw thread in a rod key is a total waste of time and money.  A little lateral slop in keywork is good for pads, so they don't get too used to one particular landing spot on a tone hole.  It makes them self-ritious, and lazy. 

CAVEAT EMPTOR:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-G-Pruefer-Wooden-Clarinet-by-E-Albert-Brussel-Albert-System-3021797/382256655374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: New interpretations for old problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »
This should be in the honest seller thread.  ;)

Nice decorative flush band around those “really deep scratches” in the upper joint. I wonder what the pawn shop loaned the former owner? I think the $10 CH JEROME was a much better buy, even with it’s own deep scratches.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
We'd need a dishonest seller thread for this one.
Any takers?
 ;D

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
One could always fill in the "scratches" with super glue and grenadilla powder and nobody would be any the wiser...
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
I think a buyer beware thread would be great.  I'm still learning, trying to figure out what's a problem or not.  I've pm'd some of you for help when I've seen you post about an instrument or subject I need help and guidance evaluating.
Pics pointing nasty things out would be helpful, at least to me.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:23:19 PM »
Sadly, this would be a really fine clarinet, otherwise.
It's very old and has a solid, famous pedigree.  It was constructed of quality materials, and rendered by expert craftsmen.  Had it been repaired carefully the first time, the value would be significantly higher.
I would be a buyer at about $40.00, given its current condition and all the work that would be needed to undo what has already been done.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
I think a buyer beware thread would be great.  I'm still learning, trying to figure out what's a problem or not.  I've pm'd some of you for help when I've seen you post about an instrument or subject I need help and guidance evaluating.
Pics pointing nasty things out would be helpful, at least to me.
Lisa

That's a great idea, Lisa.
We could post up really bad splits, amature repairs, snapped or missing keywork, and the like.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:30:24 AM »
In attempting to turn this botched repair into a crime scene play-by-play AND a learning experience (why not, right?) I got to thinking, per your comment, Sorcerer.

The repair band is an interesting touch.  Whomever made it emulated the (incorrect, "deeply scratched" and unoriginal) Pruefer "arrow tab" barrel rings nicely, so I have to assume the band repair is old and that Pruefer barrel must have been with the clarinet for a long time now, as most repair techs no longer make repair bands as they are too time consuming, costly, invasive and obtrusive.

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
Now that I know this is considered just a deep scratch, I don't feel so bad.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:24:49 PM by mechanic »
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages