Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good book for Beginners?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Good book for Beginners?
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »
It's my birthday soon and my partner said if I could find a good beginners book online she will get it for me. It's a bit of a minefield out there and although I can play a tune on my clarinet I don't really know what notes I'm playing.
Would Clarinet for Dummies be any good?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:38:36 AM by LarryS »
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Good book for Beginners?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »
I think that's a reasonable option, as you get a lot more relevant information in addition to learning the basics.

You can also try one of the grade school books, such as Accent on Achievement or something. These don't give you much besides what notes are where, but are a good way to learn fingerings through repeated exercises.
 The lower level ones are very basic and meant for absolute beginners, but it can be useful to start from the very beginning for something like this. The longer you go without "knowing" what you're doing, the harder it will be to break out of bad habits.

Example: I always, always played the low E with the right pinky, and I didn't even know that there was a lever on the left for E as well. So for literally years I always had to do some interesting acrobatics when down in that register. These days I'm a little better but not after a whole lot of dedicated self-corrections.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:02:16 AM »
Larry, most of the beginner play-along books with CD backing tracks are an excellent way for one to develop timing, breathing, and articulation.

On a personal level, these very same books became boring for me and almost counter-productive. So now I'm just floundering around while trying to learn scales in all twelve keys along with their relative minor and the Circle of 5ths.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
Thanks guys! I also discovered that second low E quite by accident!
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Tinker73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:48:21 AM »
Forget the book!  Use the online lessons provided by Michelle Anderson.  My daughters learned more from taking her lessons online than they ever learned going to lessons from the school.  My daughters still frequently do a lesson with Michelle, or just simply go back and review on her lessons.  The investment that I made in her online class was a better investment than any clarinet that I have purchased.

If I recall she has even has some lessons she offers for free on her site.  Spend the money buy the complete set of lessons, even if you have to scrimp and save for a while.  Hint to everyone you know that's what you want for X-Mas, just saying the full lesson plan is well worth the money.
All posts intended for members and visitors to The Clarinet Pages Forum.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:53:58 AM »
No I can't afford a teacher or online lessons, tho there are plenty for free on YouTube. I want a book, something tangible I can hold and read at my own pace.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:19 PM »
This is not a method book, but it’s a great book for any clarinet player and will answer numerous questions. The Cambridge Companion for the Clarinet. It’s concise, quite thorough. It does have numerous tips, but is not a method book.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 12:19:13 AM »
This is not a method book, but it’s a great book for any clarinet player and will answer numerous questions. The Cambridge Companion for the Clarinet. It’s concise, quite thorough. It does have numerous tips, but is not a method book.
I have that book, got it for free from bookmooch.com. Good book but like you say it's not a method book.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline JacksonB

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:25:45 PM »
No I can't afford a teacher or online lessons, tho there are plenty for free on YouTube. I want a book, something tangible I can hold and read at my own pace.

I'm in the same situation as you. I'll get the book and supplement it with Youtube videos. Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!