Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reeds and mouthpieces  (Read 982 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Reeds and mouthpieces
« on: November 22, 2017, 03:18:38 AM »
I have a good MP for my plastic clarinet and decent reeds (Rico Royals, 2.5) but I still squeak an awful lot. A  lot is possibly due to my untrained embouchure but I read somewhere about certain reeds not being the best match for s mouthpiece with too open an opening or something like that-I forget the proper terminology. But some MPs are more open than others and this openness works against certain reed strengths or something like that. Anyway my MP is a Yamaha 4C which was recommended by a pro player and the ligature a BG  and is a vast improvement over the generic one that came with it. Anyway is there somewhere that shows a correlation between reed strengths and this opening.?
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Reeds and mouthpieces
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:28:53 AM »

Strength of reed depends on the tip opening, the shape of the curve of the lay and how developed your embouchure is but 2.5 is probably in the right ballpark for that mouthpiece. 

Many things can cause squeaks.  It could be pads leaking, fingers not covering the holes properly, incorrectly regulated instrument (particularly the threat A screw), a warped table on your mouthpiece (not impossible on a new mouthpiece), a bad reed or faulty embouchure.  It's difficult to diagnose over the internet. You'd do better to get a competent player to diagnose it with you in person.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »

Strength of reed depends on the tip opening, the shape of the curve of the lay and how developed your embouchure is but 2.5 is probably in the right ballpark for that mouthpiece. 

Many things can cause squeaks.  It could be pads leaking, fingers not covering the holes properly, incorrectly regulated instrument (particularly the threat A screw), a warped table on your mouthpiece (not impossible on a new mouthpiece), a bad reed or faulty embouchure.  It's difficult to diagnose over the internet. You'd do better to get a competent player to diagnose it with you in person.
Pretty sure it's down to the soft squidgy part of the equation, i.e. me. I often put too much of the mp in my mouth which causes a loud squeak (this makes the kids laugh from the other room!)
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
Yes, that'll do it.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
The reed/mouthpiece combo is the most important part of the equation and may possibly be the most overlooked.

The "horn" is just a speaker. You are the tone producer.

"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
How much of an influence does the barrel have? I hear of many swapping out the barrel for a wooden one by Backun. Surely it can't make that much difference!
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
Windy mentions in his thread about his silver throat clarinet swappng barrels, and the great results he had.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
Windy mentions in his thread about his silver throat clarinet swappng barrels, and the great results he had.
Which thread is this?
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »
http://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php/topic,1472.0.html

This is the thread.  Silverthroat refers to clarinets with a metal liner in the left hand joint.  Most were made by Pruefer, a USA company.  The prufer model was named silverthroat, but they stenciled lots of clarinets and i think vintage clarinet enthusiasts generally refer to this type as a silverthroat.  There were some made by other companies, but Pruefer made the most.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:12:25 AM »
How much of an influence does the barrel have? I hear of many swapping out the barrel for a wooden one by Backun. Surely it can't make that much difference!

The length obviously has an influence on overall tuning.  The bore dimensions can have an influence on intonation (12ths, altissimo).  They can also have a moderate influence on resistance and tone.

I don't think Backun makes one to match a Windsor clarinet.  ;)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »

The length obviously has an influence on overall tuning.  The bore dimensions can have an influence on intonation (12ths, altissimo).  They can also have a moderate influence on resistance and tone.

I don't think Backun makes one to match a Windsor clarinet.  ;)
I thought clarinets had a standard diameter on the joints. Mine came with 2 barrels, one slightly longer, but I just use the one for learning purposes.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black • Hole Clarinets
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
The bore of barrels varies within a few 10ths of a mm. It also varies in how much is may (or may not) be tapered. The material also has surprising influence. I play only to bottom altissimo, so I go for quality sound and easy-blowing, rather than fine-tuning. Seeking the sweet spot, I've had some big surprises. They are related on other discussions in The Clarinet Pages. Check out: http://www.clarinetpages.net/stuff-phil-recommends/barrels-tuning-rings/allan-segal-s-in-depth-barrel-information

Try softer reeds too, if you haven't. I use 1.5 due to a medical issue where I must avoid blowing hard. It limits my high range, but I get great sound. In fact, I use Fibracell #1 but it's equivalent to normal 1.5.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
The bore of barrels varies within a few 10ths of a mm. It also varies in how much is may (or may not) be tapered. The material also has surprising influence. I play only to bottom altissimo, so I go for quality sound and easy-blowing, rather than fine-tuning. Seeking the sweet spot, I've had some big surprises. They are related on other discussions in The Clarinet Pages. Check out: http://www.clarinetpages.net/stuff-phil-recommends/barrels-tuning-rings/allan-segal-s-in-depth-barrel-information

Try softer reeds too, if you haven't. I use 1.5 due to a medical issue where I must avoid blowing hard. It limits my high range, but I get great sound. In fact, I use Fibracell #1 but it's equivalent to normal 1.5.
Interesting. I thought it was just the length of a woodwind instrument that affects tuning, I didn't know that bore played a part too!
And my reeds are 2s, not 2.5s as I incorrectly stated earlier. 2 is the softest the shop has in.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!