Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A query about reeds  (Read 707 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
A query about reeds
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:11:36 AM »
Ok so this is a query about reeds. I just found this video and it got me thinking.
I have a pack of 3 Rico Royal 2s and I'm still just using the first one I opened. I never thought of trying others in the pack, a reed is a reed. And this reed seems to last forever! No mold, no splits. How long are they supposed to last?
https://youtu.be/x8Rm4ovBBFY
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: A query about reeds
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
It depends on how much you play. You should really get some more reeds of different varieties (within your embouchure limits). Royals are playable but not my first choice.

I bet if you sat down with 10 and 12 reeds and did nothing but test them, you would have an "ah ha" moment. I actually enjoy finding the best reeds or in some cases a single reed in a pack.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 07:55:25 AM »
It depends on how much you play. You should really get some more reeds of different varieties (within your embouchure limits). Royals are playable but not my first choice.

I bet if you sat down with 10 and 12 reeds and did nothing but test them, you would have an "ah ha" moment. I actually enjoy finding the best reeds or in some cases a single reed in a pack.
Unfortunately my choices are really limited and as a beginner i just need to practice and not worry so much about which reeds are best I suppose.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »
I totally know where you’re coming from, Larry.  I also live in a small town with one music store that caters to guitar players.  They have one type of reed in stock.  They don’t even have swabs in stock, and i bought the one and only ligature they had in stock.  I don’t go anywhere, I’m my mother’s caregiver, i haven’t been more than an hour from home in ten years, so going three and a half hours away to the ‘big city’ music store isn’t going to happen anytime soon.
I played up through high school, then didn’t play for about thirty years, so am kind of a beginner again.  I wonder if i’d Have better luck with such and such strength reed, or a synthetic.  Luckily i do have a good selection of used mouthpieces to choose from.  I do have favorites, that clearly are a good match with the clarinet and with me, but reeds i don’’t get to experiment with.
My best friend lives in a large city, and is going to be bringing me a selection of reeds as my Christmas present this year.  I can’t wait!  I’m not expecting a huge change or breakthrough, but i do expect to have a couple of those ‘Ah ha’ moments Airflyte has mentioned.  I’d like to try something besides a Rico 2.5
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »
Sounds like a fun Christmas idea Lisa!
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
I think I've realised where I'm going wrong. I buy a pack of reeds, open one and just use it till it wears out, then open another. That's how I thought it went. Trouble my first one hasn't worn out yet! But then again I dont practice everyday!
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black • Hole Clarinets
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
Standard practice is to go through the whole box. As a natural product, no two are alike. Expect may 2 in 5 to be bad, and toss them out (or look up how to "adjust" them with scraper or abrasive).

Then rotate them so they have a rest after a couple days or so. There are many (too many) online resources to teach you about reed care. Advice for sax applies as well.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »
Ive read that Rico Royals and more consistent in quality tho so its more likely that a whole box will be good (I only buy sets of 3 anyway)
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!