Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jeffrey clarinet  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
Jeffrey clarinet
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »
I got another 25 dollar deal, based on reading Windsong's mentioning how much he likes his Jeffrey clarinet, which is a LeBlanc stencil, if I remember properly.  It plays right out of the box, solidly in tune, big thumbs up there!  Its in almost perfect condition, made in France stamped on the top back of the top joint, matching serial numbers on the bottom back of both joints, 6087.  It's got the funky kidney bean touches for the left pinky and four trill posts.
It came with two mouthpieces, a Buffet Crampon Cie, "C" facing, and a bizarre Bonade Clarity with grooves in the table.  The Buffet plays a bit stuffy to me, but I like the Bonade.
The clarinet is built very well, post locks and a large metal footing under the bridge key. Very sturdy.
A really nice player!
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffrey clarinet
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
Nice score !  . . . with some case candy too  ;D
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
Ah, Lisa--so glad you got it.  I think you'll find it to be an exceptional player.  Mine is one of my best.  These are fantastic, and often better than the clarinets that bear the name of the true maker.

That's a very interesting mouthpiece.  I've never seen scrollwork like that or the routed lines in a table.  So much for the theory that deep table gouges destroy a MP.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
I turned it on an angle to try and catch how deep the grooves are.  I was completely shocked when i pullled it out of the bubble wrap to check it out, i’ve never seen anything like it.  I too, would of thought something like that would be unplayable.
Google found me some threads in various forums about them.  I found several mentions of people getting them with LeBlanc clarinets, so there’s a connection there.  They also complained that they were lousy or mediocre  mouthpieces as is, but worth refacing as someone who refaced, or used to reface mouthpieces for a living, Vytas Krass, stated it is a Lelandais blank from the 1940’s made out of excellent material, but has lousy finishing.
i guess i’m Not too picky, because I found it free blowing and loud, but not honky or out of tune with Jeffrey, i liked it quite a bit, totally not stuffy.  Not to mention it’s pretty cool looking too, with the scrollwork and rounded edge.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
A good mouthpiece can only be defined by how well it makes you play.  From what I've read, it was hard to do much better than Lelandais at the time.  It's a top-notch (pun intended) name, and fits the age of that Jeffrey, which was manufactured around 1948-1949.

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:37 PM »
Wow, thanks for putting a date on Jeff, i had no idea he was that old.
And clearly by some of my purchases, i’m Not too worried about the name or if others say it’s not to their taste.  If it’s cheap enough, i’ll Give it a go and make my own determinations.  As odd at the Bonade is, i probably would of bought one if it was cheap enough anyhow, just because it’s so weird.  I did find a couple that were for sale at one point or another doing searches for them, so they’re out there, in the 40 dollar range.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:33:24 PM by Lisa »
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
Looks a nice one, and $25, thats incredible! I love how this community is not afraid of buying old instruments from ebay-so different to the guys on that other woodwind forum.
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
I live to buy old beaters off eBay. Nothing like getting a throwaway instrument back into tip top shape!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
I was constantly advised NOT to buy an instrument from that site Ebay, unless it was one of Quinn's of course...
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
I was constantly advised NOT to buy an instrument from that site Ebay, unless it was one of Quinn's of course...
That's if you're looking to play right out the box.
I don't expect anything to play so it's free game for me :)
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »
And so many of them do, Dave, with no adjustment.  Some, with just a tweak or two; old pads and all.  Of course, if the photos are good and comprehensive, we can typically tell what we're up against despite lack of informative details on the seller's behalf.

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 08:07:30 AM »
Some sellers do actually want to sell, too.  I have no problems asking for more photos, i download their own pictures, use a photo program to circle the part or area in question, and send it back to them, or send them a picture of one of my clarinets with the part circled so they know what i want a close up of.  Some don’t respond, but some do, and it has clinched a sale for me.  If it’s a buy it now, i’ll Do it right away, if it’s an auction, i’ll Send a message asking something and see how long it takes for them to respond, then ask for extra pictures near the bitter end, based in their previous response time.  I don’t want them posting my questions and extra pictures for someone else to see, days in advance to the end of the auction.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
A couple months ago I bought a bass clarinet from Quinn The Eskimo but failed to look closely enough at the pictures.
He didn't mention any issues but said it was sold "as is".
Pictures look great, but I missed a critical one:
http://www.quinntheeskimo.net/Pics/MB-32938/MB-3293810.jpg

See how one key sort of hangs low? Turns out that key is actually broken, but it was my fault for not looking closely enough at all 24 pictures.
Didn't want to lose $70 in shipping costs if I did a return so I just kept the thing. I have no idea what to do with it now so it's just burning a $430 hole in my pocket.
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
How much to have it repaired?
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
How much to have it repaired?
Not sure, too much for me probably. It requires a little something to be soldered onto the key in order to keep it from flipping out. Alternatively one could jury rig up something with some rubber bands, but then the resale value disappears.
Virginia Beach, Virginia