Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A. Hindley Simple Bb LP, functional sculpture.  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: A. Hindley Simple Bb LP, functional sculpture.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »
I think you will confirm that the tone improves with fewer keys.  I'd part with every one of my clarinets before getting rid of the Kolar, and even my JTL, while HP, has an absolute beautiful, albeit bright tone.
I'll check on the French one you mention. 
Saxophones must have resonators in order to convey the brass sound without muffling it in a pad.  Plastic resonators are not good, IMO.  I belong to the school of thought that they must be metal, and most preferably brass.

EDIT:
I was not able to find the listing you cited.  Perhaps it has been pulled or ended.

Maybe that's why C-Mel saxes acquired the reputation of being 'stuffy' - those white leather pads without resonators may be the main reason for that. If one thinks of the C melody as an elongated alto with the 'voice' of a tenor, there's no reason these horns can not wail.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 04:44:23 PM »
That could be true of the C-melodies. My Conn New Invention was refitted with what look like Conn reso-pads (leather backed with a hard material) and is neither stuffy nor quiet. It's very early (1914) and had the pillow pads originally. I want to hear those original type pads on a C-melody so that is what I am putting on the old Holton I have torn down. I want to hear what it sounded like originally. I think the resonator pads make these louder, but unbalanced in the lowest notes;- too loud and not much way to bring it within the dynamics of the rest of the range. If was designed and built with pillow pads, it might sound more even with them. One more experiment....
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »
The Hindley is particularly spare on holes in the upper joint. It has only 11 holes and a typical Boehm has 15 holes. "And though the holes were rather small, I had to count them all...."

The lower joints are more equal with the Hindley actually having one more (10) large hole than a typical Boehm (9). The Boehm system makes good use of mechanics to link holes to either hand.

There are some simple lower joints that also have 9. 9 is apparently the minimum for the lower joint to be chromatic. Considering how small the upper joint tone holes are, it is probably not a huge difference that the extra holes make. I might try doing an upper with cork pads to see if that improves response and projection.

I also have a pair of simple system C LPs to do. I might do one of those with cork upper joint pads and see how that works out.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »
<<but like a gorgeous 9-million-dollar 1938 Talbot-Lago Teardrop, it sure steals the show!>>

1937 and 1938 saw some of the finest, most beautifully sculpted automobiles ever made.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 02:24:22 AM »
That Hindley looks like a Hawkes stencil to me.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »
Here's the Talbot for reference:
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »
That Hindley looks like a Hawkes stencil to me.
It might be a stencil, but as usual I am cautious because so many clarinets from a country built about the same time are similar. I would assume that a large maker like Hawkes built a number of stenciled instruments.

Additionally, I have seen a Pellisson Freres (French) that is quite similar and made for export to England. It would be good to see a Hawkes next to this one. I don’t have one, but I will keep my eye out for one like this.