Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very Vintage French Stencil Clarinet  (Read 764 times)

Offline sara4adopt

• 3rd Generation Clarinet Player
    • View Profile
Very Vintage French Stencil Clarinet
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »
I inherited two clarinets from my grandfather (born 1899).  Hopefully I correctly identified the newer of the two clarinets and I have listed that one for sale on eBay.  The older one of the two is a mystery to me.

The case seems to be a Filmore.  I believe this clarinet was manufactured prior to 1920.  The best I can tell, the stencil reads, "Henri Farny & CIE Paris".  There are no other identifying marks I can find on the clarinet.  It has the roller keys.  My grandfather liked to engrave things, so he engraved his initial "E" on the barrel, and there is a faint engraving of a man on the bell.  I don't know how this might affect the value of the clarinet.

I am happy to send additional pictures to anyone who can help me learn more about this instrument.

Is this a collectable clarinet or should I make a lamp out of it?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Sara

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Very Vintage French Stencil Clarinet
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:01 PM »
Welcome.
That's a nice machine, Sara.
It's a shame about the engraving, and the crudely repaired LH5-1 key, but these are rather minor, in the grand scheme of things, and can be "softened" by a professional, or advanced DIY'er.
This is a nice Albert system 4-ring "roller" with a decent stencil name (we all know Farny, here).  In an ideal market, you may fetch as much as $85.00 for it, in current condition.  $50.00 is more reasonable, and with the wrap key, and no sign of pitch, I'd wager it's likely to to be a 454Hz instrument, but no matter;  the purists will be delighted to see it.
Thank you for sharing your gem with us, and please tell us about the other clarinet you inherited.

Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline sara4adopt

• 3rd Generation Clarinet Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
The other clarinet is a Henri Selmer Paris Wood Clarinet. Likely manufactured between 1930-1940. No cracks or repairs. Original case. Pictures are posted on the eBay listing. [eBay item number 142673812694]

Thanks,
Sara

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
Very nice Selmer!
Based upon your assessment of its condition, I can see you getting your asking price, or a good majority of it, anyway. 

I agree that it was made in the 1930s.  If it's an L series serial number, it certainly was, and the early M series were, as well.  That is a characteristically 1930s case, and that MP is a real gem.  Selmer did not mass produce clarinets during that time, and of the ones they did make, they were all well constructed.
Thanks for sharing, and best of luck in your auction.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
Several years ago I sold a slightly-older Selmer K-series for $360, so you should be able to reach that at least.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States