Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: clarinet value  (Read 1676 times)

Offline zigzigy7

• full boehm fanboy
    • View Profile
clarinet value
« on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »
I am looking to sell my amati acl 315 full boehm clarinet in order to partially fund the purchase and restoration of a better horn and I would appreciate some help in appraising this instrument.it is made of wood and the serial # is 200400 but I could never find a date to attach to it. i purchased it little over a year ago for $450 and have had the register key pad replaced with cork and the C#/G# key pad replaced because it was torn, but that's the only work i've had done on it and works perfectly. thank you.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: clarinet value
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
Wow, that's beautiful. Reminds me of one I had a while ago.

I'd estimate this at the $550-$600 range. So you should be able to make money on the sale.

What are you planning on purchasing with these funds?
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline zigzigy7

• full boehm fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »
i've found a selmer depose full boehm for around 400 that i think would be a good step up once its been tweaked. considering amati's full boehms dont have the best keywork

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
That's a pretty good price for an FB Selmer. Good luck!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »
That is a beautiful instrument!

If you are willing, I think it might help several of us to know how much you are able to sell that full Boehm for in the end. I often place those as starting at $1000, even for old ones. But clearly I must be wrong. I'm assuming that it wasn't new two years ago, right?

Offline zigzigy7

• full boehm fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »
I bought the amati used off of ebay and I'll keep you posted on what I get for it

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
Zigzigy,
What is it about the keywork you don't like?  Is it the ergonomics or the construction?
(Beautiful FB, by the way.)
Cheers-
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline zigzigy7

• full boehm fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:59 PM »
more construction than ergonomic. its an intermediate horn so it's nickel plated. as a result, all the weight and springs you have to push down in order to use the low eb, the LH eb also offers unusual resistance. ergonomically, the LH C# is rather small and positioned lower than the B so when i reach for it i consistantly believe i am going to miss it and usually did when i first was getting used to it. also as a side note, FBs are touchy to adjust. the articulated C# and ring allowing the forked eb. combining these two makes the 1/1 fingering for eb invalid unless you take the time to balance out both of these screws just right, which took me months. not a problem for just this clarinet but most any FB save for possibly ones with donut keys.

Offline zigzigy7

• full boehm fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »
just an update. the work on my new selmer is finished. it has no model name but a serial number of M98xx placing it in 1946. the keys re silver plated, a detail i missed when i first got it on account of how dull it was with age. compared to the above amati the keys are much more responsive and the clarinet as a whole is considerably lighter. the grain on this is gorgeous, the best looking of my seven clarinets with a wooden edgeware as a close second. the register key is identical to that of a centered tone. the bell has no markings on it aside from "made in france", though a slight depression in the wood resembles a spot where a circular logo similar may have been fixed to the bell as opposed to etched. there is also a D stamped onto the low Eb key, what this means, though, i dont know
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:05:18 PM by zigzigy7 »