Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Db Clarinet, or High pitch C Clarinet?  (Read 353 times)

Offline 12341986

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Db Clarinet, or High pitch C Clarinet?
« on: August 25, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
Hi All,
I bought this clarinet in Austria
It plays very well, has a lovely sound but is very strange.
It doesn't have so many keys, and plays pretty in tune but as it if were a Db clarinet.
I googled lengths of different clarinets to try and ascertain if it is high pitch or not, but nothing came up.
Without the mouthpiece it's about 47 cm long, and with it's about 53
Here are some photos:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dZcM8PeGf_Ljs74GbIIG66krxglVx3Sv
Thank you for your help!

Offline zigzigy7

• full boehm fanboy
    • View Profile
Re: Db Clarinet, or High pitch C Clarinet?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »
far as i know clarinets have been made in G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, and F. I've never seen evidence of a Db clarinet. what your clarinet is is likely a high pitch clarinet as it is known that high pitch clarinets have a wide variety of pitches, ranging as far as A=455, over half a tone above A=440, which means that if your C clarinet is in that range of particularly high pitched instruments, it may nowadays function as a Db clarinet. moreso if it is well in tune with itself. but it was produced as a C clarinet.
hope this helps.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »
Db seems an unlikely key for a clarinet. Piccolos were Produced in Db (for some reason) but no clarinets that I can think of.

David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »
...ranging as far as A=455, over half a tone above A=440,

455Hz is only about 60 cents above 440Hz so a considerably less than a semitone.  However, I have an old high pitch Bb clarinet from Vienna that's very close to being in B natural.  With a shorter barrel, I reckon it would be usable as a clarinet in B natural.  I'd imagine this C instrument was made to the same pitch standard.

I've seen instruments like that with a throwback simple key system before but I don't know anything about them.  Perhaps they were intended for children to start on or for folk music.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:58:20 PM »
To echo what others have said, that's a HP C clarinet.  I have one very similar, a ringless one with the elevated pinky hole, made in Czechoslovakia (Austria/Hungarian Empire) in the early 1880s.  Mine is tuned to 454 hertz.
Ringless clarinets of that vintage are not very common.
Thanks for sharing.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.