Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full Boehm Clemens Mienel clarinet (made in East Germany)  (Read 2628 times)

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
Full Boehm Clemens Mienel clarinet (made in East Germany)
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131398933284

Slightly odd, but whoa, more keys than my alto or bass.  Plays okay.  I knew that I needed to replace the barrel.  (Someone drilled a hole in it for a microphone)  What the seller either didn\'t notice or didn\'t disclose was that the bridge key on the upper joint is broken off.  If the seller isn\'t the one who did the work, it\'s possible that the tech didn\'t tell him about it.  

Album: (two photos)

It looks as if the bridge key itself is press-fit onto the end of the shaft of the middle-finger ring key.  (you can\'t see that in my photo)  

What I\'m hoping is that either I can source a replacement key (assembly) from behind the former Iron Curtain or that it\'s actually a DDR knock-off of a (full Boehm) R13.  

It is playable as-is, but I lose the alternate Eb/Bb 1-- 1-- fingering I use sometimes.  I can\'t reliably hit notes above the A above the staff, so I won\'t miss it on those notes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:25:47 PM by andybeals »
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
RE: Full Boehm Clemens Mienel clarinet (made in East Germany)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
He\'s offered to issue a partial refund - anyone have a guesstimate as to what it will run me to fab a key?
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: Full Boehm Clemens Mienel clarinet (made in East Germany)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 04:40:58 PM »
I don\'t think it would be too difficult to solder another piece of metal onto the rest of the key.  But I\'m no metal worker and have no idea what instrumental metalwork costs..
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States