Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conn 16  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Groover

• View Profile
Conn 16
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Hi folks, I know very little about Clarinets. I play harmonica here and there (mostly church bands) and I have a sax on my someday wish list. I Was handed this clarinet from a friend who runs a charity. I can either fix It to play It, or fix It to give It to someone who wants It (its a good charity). I asked a friend for a quick look at it but he didn\'t know enough (his words). He said he probably does have an extra mouthpiece laying around that I could have. The case reeks of mold smell. I assume the mold is in or on the finish of the clarinet too. The pads are falling off. AS you can see from the (open) case shot, there is also a section missing (aside from the mouthpiece).

What is the value of this as far as getting It to play again?
What is the value of this if It were salable?
Is this a quality instrument that will play in a way to satisfy, a beginner, an intermediate, an expert?
What am I looking at to spend to get this in working order?
What skills do I need to have to get It in working order?

Lots of questions. Thanks for any assistance.

David

PS - I keep uploading pictures and telling the forum to attach them, but they keep not being attached. I have pics, but so far can\'t post them?

PPS - I just checked eBay and It looks like this instrument goes for $70 - $90 in great condition? Unless I can get DIY tips and It seems doable, might not be a doable project. Would still appreciate replies. Ongoing thanks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:26:33 PM by Groover »
David Groover

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: Conn 16
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »
The Conn 16 is a pretty decent instrument, on par with Bundy and Vito products.

They don\'t go for all that much; as you have found out, no more than 100 dollars.

If you do it yourself, the most expensive part of the refurbish will be the pads.  I get mine from China at around 30 cents a piece.  The adhesive pellets are also a small investment, but are pretty cheap.  

You can find how-to videos on Youtube that are very helpful.

Basically, all you need to do is take the old pads out and put new ones in.  Pretty easy, but it does take some practice.

Good luck!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »
Your Conn 16 is a well-made student horn from back in the day.  I started on a Conn 16 back in the 60\'s.  Lots of life left in most of these - you can find a new case for $30 and up.  Dave is right on the money with his comments above.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline Groover

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
Quote from: \'rezzie\' pid=\'3628\' dateline=\'1424734276\'

Your Conn 16 is a well-made student horn from back in the day.  I started on a Conn 16 back in the 60\'s.  Lots of life left in most of these - you can find a new case for $30 and up.  Dave is right on the money with his comments above.

Thanks folks. I Was not able to get my pics on this forum so to describe the problem .... There is a section missing that the case shows a space for. The mouthpiece is missing, check. But there is another piece missing. I Have never before held a clarinet so I really don\'t know what piece is not in the case anymore. Embarrassed to say It but, I don\'t even know which way the sections go and what part plugs into what other section. When I had a used sax It was pretty easy for me to fool around on the keys and get a pretty nice sound pretty quickly. I guess being a harmonica player for some years and being comfortable  with the sound of a reed and how to bend them made that easier for me.

There are two main sections with keys, a bell, and a small tuning collar. It looks like the pictures are working this time - maybe I couldn\'t do It when I first signed up but now, I am officially here? No matter, glad to show a photo now.

I took the pieces out last night and put them in a hot tub of water and dish soap and used a counter cleaner on them. Didn\'t leave them to soak but figured plastic and mettle with already dead key pads - couldn\'t hurt. Blew compressed air across the surfaces right away to dry It. I have to say, It\'s actually a handsome little bit or art if nothing else. Hopefully, I can get It talking again - musically speaking. And that would be, something else  ;-)

David
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:17:19 PM by Groover »
David Groover

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
Mr. Groover - the empty section is to hold the mouthpiece.  It is complete as is - two body sections, barrel and bell.

Looks to be hard rubber - an excellent, very durable material that lasts forever!

Let us know how your progress is.  Also, don\'t hesitate to post any specific questions about the repair process and we will do our best to assist!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »
I note that the bell and barrel have the old Conn 16 logo (like mine did back in the day) while the top joint has the newer Conn 16 logo.  Haven\'t seen that before.  

Just take your time and we\'ll help as we can.  Lots of \"shadetree\" and better clarinet wrenchers on this forum.  Clarinets are cheaper than cars and fueled by hot air.

Offline gkern

• View Profile
    • http://clarinut.net
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:09 AM »
Hi Groover - I also have a Conn 16.  I bought it because it was the clarinet model that Kenny Davern used late in his career.  When he plays it, it sounds awesome, not quite as good when I play it.  He used a Vandoren 5JB mouthpiece (which he helped Vandoren design).

It is plastic, not hard rubber, so I guess being dunked in water didn\'t hurt it a bit.  Hope you enjoy the clarinet.  :)
Playing a clarinet badly is better than not playing a clarinet at all.

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
Well, we all know that it\'s tough to get a better built vintage clarinet with the big and round Conn sound quality from any other manufacturer. That being said, I took the old 424N out for a spin yesterday and was not disappointed! I have been messing around on the alto sax as of late and was missing the lyrical qualities of the Bb clarinet.

\"The above statement was made from a very biased Conn enthusiast and cannot be held accountable for (or even acknowledge) other opinions that may differ from above statement.\" :P
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
Who ever gets this one for a \"song\" will know what I mean. ;)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Black-Conn-Clarinet-In-Case-16-20082377.html

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
Quote from: \'TheBlueBeamPolkaProject\' pid=\'3645\' dateline=\'1424920023\'

Who ever gets this one for a \"song\" will know what I mean. ;)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Black-Conn-Clarinet-In-Case-16-20082377.html

Indeed.  You should see the lovely Conn 78 (the 16 in grenadilla) I picked up about a year ago from the same source.  It was low mileage and came with a nice case and an extra lower joint from a plastic horn (parts!).  I repadded it with Valentinos, recorked it, buffed it up and got the regulation tight and quiet.  Plays like a million bucks.  People just don\'t know these horns.  $36 plus shipping.

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »
rezzie, you may have outbid me on that one :dodgy: Congrats on the model 78 - sounds like a keeper!