Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help!Holton clarinet no serial number  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Era.photo1

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Help!Holton clarinet no serial number
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »
I purchased a holton clarinete at a garage sale. It has no serial number or model number. It does have the holton logo, " collegigate and elkhorn wis on the bell.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:41:08 PM by Era.photo1 »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Help!Holton clarinet no serial number
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
I'm getting Vito vibes from the trill keys. Looks like a mid-1980s hard plastic case.

All things considered, it should be a pretty great player, at least for beginning levels or as a practice clarinet.

Vito products are VERY good quality and practically bulletproof. Kept nice, these will outlive pretty much anyone.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
Does the upper joint also have the Holton Collegiate name on it? Holton-branded Vitos of this era had distinctive tenon rings as you can see on the bell, but since the lower joint doesn't have that there's obviously some level of mis-matched components.

That style of trademark was used on those beginning in 1965 or 1966. Not a lot of them were made, but I don't know if that was due to a short production run or just low sales. Holton clarinets were out of production for at least several years before being re-introduced in 1977 without the "Collegiate" name.

The model number for the '60s model is CL-630 (or CL-633 for the lower-priced one with offset trill keys).
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »
Nice find!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!