Author Topic: Why is the Silver Conn 424N difficult to research?  (Read 532 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Why is the Silver Conn 424N difficult to research?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Professional Conn 424N "Armored" Double-Wall Metal Clarinet

is how I would describe it for maximum impact.

"This splendid Pro level Conn 424N is a Jazz player's dream! Hailing from the early 1930s, this spectacular clarinet is one of the world-famous "Armored" models featuring double-wall metal body construction.
This type of metal clarinet is a truly unique and rare specimen, and can honestly be considered one of the best metal clarinets ever made."

just some fluff to get you started :)
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
DaveLeBlanc…. has anybody told you lately that you are AMAZING?  BECAUSE YOU ARE AMAZING!  THAT POST/REPLY IS AMAZING!  WOULD YOU LIKE A JOB POSTING/LISTING ITEMS FOR US ON EBAY? SERIOUSLY?  YOUR FLUFF IS THE GOOD STUFF! :)
I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
I'm always down for a job  8)

I've been selling stuff for almost 8 years on eBay and other platforms, and have found that a nice, fluffy and descriptive description really does help things sell faster, and sell for more.

Your pictures are already excellent, so all you need is a solid description to get maximum price in minimum time.

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
I really appreciate your time and advice, Dave!  Immensely!  I think I feel confident enough now to list it on eBay with your title and description input.  I will add the link here to the auction as soon as I get it posted.  I'd love for you to look it over and pick it apart for any edits you may have.  I really enjoy selling antiques and other items on eBay.  The research is usually my favorite part of the whole process... but, this clarinet has really left me wanting more info in the end.  It's been a tough one!!!  You have been a great help!!!  Thank you!!!!
Stefanie

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
P.S.  Starting auction price?  Should I start low to gain more interest or average to cover my ass if it only receives one bid?  OR go high to show it's value?  WWDD?  What Would Dave Do? ;)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
There are two schools of thought when listing valuable instruments:

1. start at $0.99, no reserve, free shipping. This has the potential to spark a bidding war that could drive your item up to - potentially - much more than its actual market value.
The downside is that sometimes you'll get nothing for it.
I listed a functioning Bundy alto clarinet at a $0.99 no reserve auction, free shipping.
It sold for $36.01 and I actually lost money in shipping costs.

2. Start at something a little exorbitant like $3000, and accept offers. You'll get some idiots who will offer $100, some lowballers who will offer $500, and a few genuinely interested folks who will give you close to it's actual market value.

As for the market value, it's hard to say. I don't see any completed listings on eBay from the past year. Currently active are two, but neither are Conn:
Penzel Clari-Met for $4800
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-DOUBLE-WALLED-STERLING-SILVER-ALLOY-PENZEL-MULLER-CLARI-MET-CLARINET-1910/143104224772?hash=item2151ad2e04:g:rdwAAOSwcGpcP6rY

Louis Treibert for $1900
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Double-Wall-Bb-Clarinet-Charles-Louis-Treibert-1929/303390576085?hash=item46a37ccdd5:g:r8UAAOSwTmxcyeD0

In my own personal experience, I narrowly missed out on a bid for a Conn double-wall that ended up selling for just over $500. However, that seems crazy low which is why I'm very sad I missed out on the deal of the century.

TL;DR:
I would probably go for a Buy it Now with $3000 and see what kind of offers you get. Only you know how much money you need, and how quickly you need it.

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »
Well... I am still working on my eBay listing. Ugg.  lol

This is such an interesting item and the more I dig into it....  Well, honestly I have fallen in love with this clarinet!!!

I can't even read music or play, but every time I look at this silver beauty.... my heart smiles :)

I'm becoming attached! lol

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
Did I get any of these details correct? lol

Key: Bb

Design: Boehm System

Type: Low Pitch

Boehm System 17 keys 6 rings Metal Armored Clarinet in Bb - Low Pitch

It's a standard pitch, a 440, with standard boehm key work.

Embossing:  MADE BY  C.G. CONN, LTD  ELKHART, IND  U.S.A.

Serial # 424N-B-214130-L

Mouthpiece:  ALONZO LEACH -  DE LUX - B6 - DES MOINES, IOWA -  STEEL EBONITE  - REG.US. PAT OFFICE

Ligature:  ELTON

Read Trimmer:  COUPE ANCHES "CORDIER" MADE IN FRANCE  BREVETE  S.G.D.G

Does that info seem correct?  Are there any other important details I need to add that your average buyer would be expecting?

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
By the way, your last reply blew my mind!!  Thank you so much!!!  I really hope you get paid for your amazing talent in some way!  You have been blessed with a gift!!! Do you do much freelance writing or are you a journalist? 

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
Your write up looks pretty good.

A few slight changes:

After "17 keys 6 rings" you can also add "17/6" which is industry lingo for 17 rings, 6 keys.

Also, "It's a standard pitch, a 440..." - can be changed to "It's standard pitch, A=440Hz..."

Also, "Read Trimmer" should be "Reed Trimmer"

That's pretty good in my opinion - youve got all the detail any buyer would need. The less questions a buyer needs to ask, the more likely they are to buy your item.

In my experience, people who ask a TON of questions about your item generally don't buy it.
Those who do often demand a partial refund for something minor, and sometimes lie about it.
Moral: be very wary of people who send you a paragraph of questions.

The best buyers I've had are the ones who ask no questions besides the very basics.

I'm glad you appreciate my replies. I don't do too much writing anymore after grad school, although sometimes I feel like I should get back into it... :)

Offline WyoWind

• Clueless Seeking Clues
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
David-
You have a gift. 
Use it.
 :-*
Stefanie