Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What extra key is this?  (Read 158 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
What extra key is this?
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:06:18 AM »
I spotted this picture on Instagram. Is this a boehm clarinet or a different system with that low (Eb) key?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5zxQFxAE4q/?igshid=1j0u7z9en8i8k
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline jdbassplayer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: What extra key is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:45:51 PM »
It's a G/D vent hole. Basically it's connected to the F/C key and provides an extra open hole for low G and clarion D to provide better venting. Most newer professional bass clarinets (including the Ridenour and other Chinese models) have this, but it is very uncommon on soprano clarinets.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »
With the smaller size of the soprano, I can't see how useful it would be. If you're talking an alto or bass, with a MUCH larger and longer bell, then I can probably see an argument for it.

But for a smaller instrument it seems like the issue could be corrected simply with a different bell, whether shorter or longer.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline jdbassplayer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:03:13 AM »
A different bell will affect the pitch and response of the low E and the B though. This vent hole is only there to improve the response of the low G and the D. My Chinese G clarinet has this key and it does make a big difference in response when I cover the hole.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »
I agree with jdbassplayer (Jared) in relation to our G clarinets. I think the reason it is important on them is that they have "German" bore, meaning they have much less bore expansion in the lower joint and upper bell. More cylindrical, in other words. German system clarinets have this venting inherently, and they have German bore (of course). When Boehm system uses the German bore, this seems to help. I would assume then, (some) bass clarinets have less bore expansion as well. It would make them less cumbersome, I suppose.
Windy at BLACK HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html