Author Topic: efficient home set-up?  (Read 154 times)

Offline Bethany

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
efficient home set-up?
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:10:17 PM »
I'm looking for the most efficient set-up for home, reducing any steps possible while ensuring the clarinet dries out sufficiently.

When it's not travelling, I like to leave my clarinet on the stand, have it ready to play.
I play several times per day.

Factors:

Do I really need to remove the synthetic reed, ligature, and mouthpiece, run the hanky through the mouthpiece, then run the hanky through the rest of the clarinet between practices, the set up the last few pieces every time I want to play again?

And does the inside of the clarinet dry out sufficiently on that stand?

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: efficient home set-up?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:25:06 PM »
By between practices do you mean you practice once daily or more often with maybe only hours in between?
In either case, I always wash the reed. I feel to not wash it is gross for the next time it goes in your mouth. Of course at rehearsals and concerts the reed (and cap) stays on through breaks/intermissions.

I practice once daily. My routine is:
--Wash reed and put in plastic reed holder (if cane). Wash and dry reed & into plastic reed holder if it's Legere.
--Wash mouthpiece thoroughly, inside & out. Dry the cork. Use cork grease more on the mouthpiece cork than others since it gets wet from the washing.
   Don't just swab the mouthpiece. Again, gross to put a spitty swab through it then put it in your mouth next time.
--Wash the ligature. Spit can get on that on occasion.
--I always take the clarinet apart and swab all parts separately, and put them in the case. Can't be knocked over. I swab my plastic model as well as my Buffet since moisture can get on the pads as well. If not for that I think it's probably safe to not swab a plastic clarinet.  I don't leave the instrument together like, overnight. My guess is it's not too good for the connector corks.
--At concerts and rehearsals I keep a (long skinny) brush by my chair to on occasion do a quick "swabbing" with that--especially down the top of the upper joint. Takes less time than using a swab. I'm not one that cares about a brush possibly enlarging my Buffet's bore over time. At my age I don't have to make the bore last for decades...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:27:21 PM by TMHeimer »
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)
"Boreal Ballad" for unacc. clarinet solo (advanced)--available at
Sheet Music Plus

Offline Bethany

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks so much for helping me again, TMHeimer :)

Yes, I like to practice a few times per day (some hours between sessions).

These notes are very helpful. I admit, if I were doing all that each day, I probably wouldn't continue with clarinet, lol. I'm disciplined enough to practice 1-3x per day, but not disciplined enough to fuss with pieces. I do always brush my teeth before playing though! Just to ensure nothing except my shiny spit is going in. And during nonCOVID time, the whole thing gets taken apart once a week for travel to gigs.

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:45:33 AM »
Yeah it's different when you practice several times daily. I'd leave it together too if I practiced more than once daily, but still would take it apart and swab it for the night. I too brush my teeth before playing my Buffet, but not before my "plastic" Selmer. I only use the Buffet for rehearsals & concerts and never consume anything but water until done playing for the night. My stand partner usually shows up at the concerts drinking a capuccino or something. Guess he's not worried about that affecting the clarinet's wood. Maybe that's really an old wives tail, who knows.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:41:34 AM by TMHeimer »
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)
"Boreal Ballad" for unacc. clarinet solo (advanced)--available at
Sheet Music Plus

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black • Hole Clarinets
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 02:26:40 PM »
Your friend who blows cappucino vapors will gunk up his horn. I just cleaned out deposits from the upper holes on a client's R13. It went from playing just OK with a dull Bb, to sounding perfect. I used pipe cleaner and Q-tips with alcohol. I saw only minor stuff coming out but it made a huge difference and surprised me. Anything sticky or fatty is very bad for the instrument. Pads will stick too, eventually.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline kewald

• Recently returned to playing clarinet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
Interesting.

I leave my clarinet on the stand.  Using a Hercules clarinet peg, which I believe provides adequate airflow as the bell isn't blocked.

The peg mounts on my Hercules Sax stand leg so they are both conveniently located.  I use Key Leaves on the major closed keys on the sax to prevent sticking.  Wonder if it would be worthwhile using a small wedge to open the closed keys on the clarinet?

I remove the reeds and store them in D’Addario Woodwind Reeds Cases that are supposedly humidity controlled.  I put both cane and synthetic reeds in the cases.  Went a step further according to something a read somewhere that suggests rotating reeds daily.  So, I labeled each reed slot with the days of the week plus 1 marked "rotate".  This way, I play a different reed on each instrument each day and I'm keeping track of the playing difficulty, squeaking and accidental overtones with a simple rating system.  I know squeaks and overtones are also caused by my embouchure, but I generally  know when that happens.  Yes - it's more information than I need, but I'm a data geek.

Also a gadget geek.

I also brush my teeth before ever playing either instrument.

Not good enough to play gigs, and might not get that good, but having fun anyway.

Stay safe!
Ken
Retired
Rank beginner at Clarinet and Alto Sax

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Bethany

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:43:17 PM »
I've continued my current system, with no issues that I'm aware of, and frequent access with ease...

AND I discovered that if I insert the hanky into the bell end, the swab DOES go through the entire clarinet :)

I like that Hercules stand, @kewald, and your video for "ours" @LarryS :)   Does the Hercules indeed allow air flow all the way through, or does the yellow tip block it? (If air goes all the way through, I'll be tempted to get it.)