Author Topic: Need help dating a Buffet Crampon Evette  (Read 38 times)

Offline Jimmy74

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Need help dating a Buffet Crampon Evette
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »
Hi folks Iíve just gotten my hands on this old Buffet-Crampton Evette clarinet. I have done extensive research online and the only thing I can find is that it may be an E11 model. The mouthpiece isnít original nor is the second part of it. The main body and bell are made of wood. Iíll attach some photos.

What do you think?
Thanks
J.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Need help dating a Buffet Crampon Evette
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:34:10 PM »
That clarinet looks like it's probably from the 1980s.

As an Evette, it is NOT an E-11. The E-11 is specifically a Buffet Crampon clarinet.

Evette was sort of a subsidiary of Buffet Crampon, generally producing lower-end and student-level clarinets.

It is possible that this Evette is a separately-branded Buffet E-11. Buffet, as well as LeBlanc, would often "downgrade" a clarinet that failed to meet quality standards.

For example, a pro-level LeBlanc could be downgraded to a Normandy or Noblet model; a Buffet R13 could sometimes be downgraded into an Evette & Schaeffer model. It is tough to tell for sure without having the clarinet in hand.

Long story short, it is possible that it is a downgraded E-11, but more likely it started its life destined for the student/beginner market.
Regardless, it might be a decent player, just don't expect to make bank selling it or solo in a symphony. Value is probably $50 in the current condition, up to $200 restored.

That mouthpiece is a Buffet and should be pretty decent. If it has a Buffet hallmark it could be worth up to $40. Without that Buffet logo, value is more like $25 (everybody loves a nice logo)

Hope this helps! To all: as always, please feel free to correct me on anything.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages