Author Topic: Arts and crafts projects  (Read 307 times)

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Re: Arts and crafts projects
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 09:25:16 PM »
Finally got pads in for that rubber inner lined pruefer. It playa pretty well as is I think. I was fooling around with the mouth piece and ended up with a larger bore and seems to work fairly well. It doesn't seem to be an easy blower but not too hard either but I think its because I was messing around with the rails.
I like the color the keys have. I opted not to shine them and they have a rosie tone to them which I think matches the discolored rubber.
Loks so nice maybe I'll turn it into a lamp....  :o (not really)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:28:21 PM by GrumpyMiddleAgedMan »
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black  Hole Clarinets
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 05:27:33 AM »
Grumpy -  On the MP rails, variations less than the width of a hair will make or break its performance. I've ruined enough to know that if you do anything without knowing exactly what you are doing, there's almost no chance it's going to play right. I hope you'll try a proper MP and let us know how she blows! May you be illuminated (not by a lamp).
Windy at BLACK HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »
Grumpy, if you want to make a lamp, I know a guy who manufactures non-destructible lamp kits. Basically, you assemble the clarinet as normal and then the lightbulb socket inserts into the barrel, sort of like a mouthpiece. Comes with a stand and a shade. Last I heard the kits were $23
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 01:57:05 PM »
Sorry for the bad joke. Let me just begin by saying that I would never do that. I find it to be a waste (usually) of an instrument. Im sure there are exceptionally terrible clarinets that deserve it.  Also I find the sight of them extremely tacky. I mean if you think it looks nice, by all means.  I just wouldn't be able to live with myself having to wake up every morning to the sight of one of those. I think a junker would probably make a good chew toy for a bird, wood of course. Strip it down first, don't need them chewing on metal.  ;D

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »
What is a gloritone? Google takes me to a pop band profile...
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 01:14:30 PM »
Penzel Mueller gloritone?  Student level. Intonation is off on mine in the lower range. I basically salvaged it, looked like it was in a smokers home for 20 years. Aweful smell and a nasty yellow wax like build up on the outside. Was missing barrel and case. After a lot of washing and some time with a drill press and belt grinder to create a barrel this is what I have now.

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 10:11:15 PM »
Oh goodie, I just got my bench grinder a few days ago. Threw a buff wheel on it and some buff compound and went to work. Now I'm getting excited to buff out my metals. I'm gunna buff the fudge out of them. Made my brilliant look brilliant.

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 01:29:51 PM »
Sorry to bother again but I bought a stinker this time, it smells a little musty. Its an older conn. Serial puts it about 1959, (687xxx). Hard rubber upper and lowers, barrel and bell appear to be plastic. Bell marked as a director but I dont think that is the correct model. Has marching band logo on top joint and plated keys. 
I'll probably end up restoring it. the case is beat to heck inside and out so new carpet and probably a new coat as well.
Basically I am wondering if it is a director or some other model and what knd of quality instrument it is. From what I read, this time period isn't know for the best quality instrument.

My best guess is its a 14n.

Edit, its a 1957 not 1959 whoopsie
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:13:07 PM by GrumpyMiddleAgedMan »

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 02:43:08 AM »
I found a use for that barrel i made. It fit onto the PM artist i had and with the rubber B&H bell it is ugly as sin. But it plays really nice. Has good sound and is easy to play.
It really looks the Frankenstein part.  :o