Author Topic: Pieces of history? Parts or instrument.  (Read 112 times)

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Pieces of history? Parts or instrument.
« on: June 23, 2020, 04:41:01 PM »
Got me another PM, an artist this time. 17093 so it has a few years under its pads. It is in rough shape few issues to sort out but no cracks in the body. Now here is my problem, it did not come.with.its original bell and barrel. Is there any sort of reliable place to source pieces like this or is it more wait and see what ends up on the auction boards? 
Something that has made it this far I would really hate to see in a parts box somewhere. Wondering if anyone else has this sort of sympathy for the 'vintage' items we come across.
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Pieces of history? Parts or instrument.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
Excessively so!
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 04:54:49 PM »
It's going to be tough to find a matching bell or barrel. However, it's easy to sell clarinets with non matching parts, they just sell for a bit less. No biggie
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 02:45:17 AM »
Not sure this is the right place but I couldn't find much of anything about this one. I picked up this flute on that auction site everyone loves.....  It wasnt super expensive and something else for me to fool around with. I got this weird thing for penzel Mueller stuff.
There wasn't much to be done with it seeing how the pads were in OK condition and I don't really feel like changing them. The foot / leg third end piece is loose on the fit but I can stretch the metal a hair to get it back tight. Serial is 56xx so there are a couple ther were made. Anyway I was wondering how rare this flute is. I know PM made wood flutes so i get the feeling this might be a stencil from somewhere else. I would appreciate any sort of background info someone might have.
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »
Looks like the newer and final font type that PM used.

I'm no expert on flutes (I just bought one though) but I would start with the usual suspects that were made in Elkhart Indiana. Maybe start with Armstrong flutes and see if there are any visual similarities with the keywork and such.

Congrats on the flute purchase!
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages