Author Topic: Metal 4 piece  (Read 118 times)

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Metal 4 piece
« on: August 11, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
Just received this one today. Its a little "waxy" so going to need a good cleaning. Geo m Bundy Paris. Came in a selmer case sans the handles and some of the exterior leather. I think I got it for an OK price. Supposed to be an intermediate.  Anyway, has anyone had any experience with one of these and how they play? 
I am going to resto it no matter, it looks like its still in good shape. There is a small crease or two in the bell but that shouldnt be too much concern.  As for the restoration, I have read that metals do well with leather pads but have redone 2 others with regular felts and they seem to play just fine. Is this more a matter of preference and sound intonation?
Kinda looking forward to making this one all shinny.
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Metal 4 piece
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »
Rule of thumb: quality of metal clarinet is directly proportional to number of pieces.

Usually more pieces means more attention to detail, as well as the ability to adjust the pieces for tuning purposes.

Back to the Geo Bundy - the vast majority of the OLD GMBs are really quite good. Bundy sometimes gets a bad rap ad a student instrument (which the plastic ones are) but as I recall. Geo himself was a former Selmer employee and made his instruments to a really high standard, at least back in the day.

I suspect you have a really nice instrument!!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 11:40:54 AM »
Its kind of weird, I was looking over the body and I can't seem to find a serial nbrr in it. I'm not doubting its authenticity but the few other examples I have seen on the interweb, at least some of them, have serials. The look, heft and feel of it wouldn't make me suspect a fake. Plus who would spend the time and effort to fake something like this. Unless the serial is buried under the keywork which I doubt. Wondering if that would be an issue, being a lack of a serial, or is there none to begin with. Just seems odd.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:13 PM »
Itís not unusual for Metal clarinets to have no serial. Itís HIGHLY unlike to be a fake, more likely one of the many Un-serialed metals out there

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 01:55:46 AM »
Just thought this was interesting. Found some markings under the key work while polishing it.  Looks like L over 83.
I'm guessing it is shop marks or match marks to identify set pieces.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »
Many older clarinets have "batch marks" on the body and/or keys. I believe this was to help the technician assemble the correct keys to the correct body.

However, I have not found any correlation between the batch marks and the actual serial number. So I'm afraid that those numbers and letters won't help you much.

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
Finger print magnet. 
I need to learn how to polish a little better. I got about 90-95% of the junk off of it. I didn't see any numbering on the keys them self. Now I need to learn how to straighten metal, the bell is a tad lopsided like someone put it down a little too hard. I took of a music holder adapter that was soldered onto it, a little solder left over on body it it blends in.
Only thing left is I need to redo the tendon cork. Thought I could get away with leaving the old ones but is kind of loose.
I happen to have a geo Bundy mouthpiece as well so it kinda seemed like a good match. It plays loud....

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
Looking for a little feedback on this.
I was playing this particular horn to see how in tune it was. The lower register is sharp almost to the next note and the upper register is pretty close to in tune. I had pulled the barrel probably 2 mm to get it to where it is. Putting very little pressure on the reed or it will become too sharp.
I tried a few mouthpieces and obviously some played better than others. I dont know if it makes as much of a difference but I remember reading that the large bore clarinets need a more open mouthpiece. I measured the bore and it comes out to .6" as best I could with the calipers. I do not know if a 'large bore' mp would help with this or if it is just a failing due to the metal.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 03:14:53 AM »
Looks a nice horn. I love the metal ones
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 02:34:59 AM »
Just for some background. I found this ad attached to one of those other clarinet sites. It seems that the original price on one of these adjusted for Inflation from 1927 to 2020 puts it in the 2k base range. I find that to be pretty steep although I see brand new custom horns going all the way out to 10k. That's a lot of pennies.
Still interesting in comparison to what you could buy now for the same amount. Almost seems like you get less.