Author Topic: Robert Malerne - worth to repair?  (Read 58 times)

Offline HeikoSpecht

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Robert Malerne - worth to repair?
« on: August 23, 2020, 06:35:23 AM »
Dear all,

I am fairly new here and I am not sure if it is the right approach to start another Robert Malerne Topic.
So - please bear with me if I did it wrong.
On a flee market I found this model of Robert Malerne and I am not sure yet if it is worth to have it professionally repaired.

It has R. M. R. Malerne Paris - no Standard nor Professional imprinted.
There is a number on two pieces 03186

I trust the repair would be expensive so I would appreciate if you can help me here to understand if it is worth some money.
Thanks in advance

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Robert Malerne - worth to repair?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 10:16:00 AM »
Hello

You are correct in that the clarinet is not worth a TON. With a full overhaul, I suspect you may be able to get $250.

Most people charge more than I do, but I would charge $150. After shipping and fees, you'd probably only end up making about $50 or less profit on the sale.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 02:37:16 PM »
It also looks like the upper joint has a crack or repaired crack.  While this may not affect play-ability, it will definitely be detrimental to resale value.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
It also looks like the upper joint has a crack or repaired crack.  While this may not affect play-ability, it will definitely be detrimental to resale value.
I didn't notice that. Yes, that's going to be tough. If there was any profit to be made before, there certainly is not now...
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages