Author Topic: Anyone know this brand ? ROY Ch., Villetoureix, Riberac France  (Read 78 times)

Offline MauriceMo

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Hello to all and thanks for the help !
I am the new owner of what appears to be a very old French clarinet, marked ROY Ch., Villetoureix, Riberac. (France)
All I could find about it was a 1920's book with the mention the company had started in 1884....
I can post other images. It came with a leather pouch, not a case! Appears to need pads and a new cork but otherwise a very nice old wooden model.
Does anyone have any ideas about it?

Thanks !

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Anyone know this brand ? ROY Ch., Villetoureix, Riberac France
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't know this brand. However, I am 100% certain that this is EARLIER than 1920. There don't appear to be rollers on the RH pinky keys, meaning this is more closer to 1890-1900 or so.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline MauriceMo

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:41 AM »
I will take some more photos later. Does the age make it worth anything more than 40 bucks ? :)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 09:39:05 AM »
I will take some more photos later. Does the age make it worth anything more than 40 bucks ? :)
Not necessarily. That old and itís probably high pitch. Making it all but useless and worth less than $50.

However! Itís really pretty and one can always appreciate the high level of craftsmanship that went into these :)
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline MauriceMo

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »
Here are some other photos. A wall hanger isn't bad either, it was made not far from where I live in France, in a small town of 900 people.... that kind of history is worth more than 50 bucks.... ;)

Offline MauriceMo

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 01:57:35 AM »
For any other people who find this brand, here is the only reference I could find anywhere.....
A listing of musical companies by village name. Company was started in 1884, in a village called Villetoureix. 870 habitants !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villetoureix

As of 2020 906 people live there now...... :)