Author Topic: Barely legable serial numbers  (Read 47 times)

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Barely legable serial numbers
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:03:37 PM »
OK so as an instrument gains age through usage it wears in certain areas more then others. What I am wondering is if the serial number on said instrument is either worn down or was never imprinted too well, if it is advisable to try to deepen or restrike it.
I am of the opinion of not touching it. I don't know if it would effect any value it has or any other consequences that may come from doing such a thing.
Am I correct to be cautious?
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline jdbassplayer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Barely legable serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
I'm confused why you would ever want to do that. I can understand doing it to the logo for cosmetic reasons but the only value the serial number has is determining age and possibly model. If you already know that information just disclose that to any future buyer and leave the serial number as it is. If you try to make it more readable you could also unintentionally make it look more fake, taking value away from the instrument.

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
That is along the lines of what I was thinking. The problem I have in particular is that the imprint is extremely light and hard to read. I could write it down and leave it as is. My only concern is if it does eventually come to the point where it is completely illegible. I wouldn't want to make it look like its a fake or anything.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black  Hole Clarinets
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »
I would consider engraving it by hand (not stamping) in another spot. That will preserve the data without interfering with the original. Unless it's a historically valuable piece, then I would do it only through documentation.
Windy at BLACK HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »
That is a good idea. I'm going to be taking the less invasive approach for now.
I realize this is a subjective question but what would.you consider historically valuable?  Obviously small production and very old instruments in good condition would apply. Certain brands maybe?  Special models?

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black  Hole Clarinets
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
Whatever you got, it will be worth more centuries from now if nobody tampers with the SN.
Windy at BLACK HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html