Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Case linings  (Read 69 times)

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Case linings
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:59:06 AM »
I have been struggling with finding a more appropriate material for lining the inside of a case. I have already redone 2 cases with a poly velvet. Wile it is soft enough and will more than likely last a long time it seems to be lacking in a few areas.
One is the material itself. It is a man made and it will deteriorate over time and the off gases will not take kindly to metal.
Another is the thickness of said material. It is relatively thin. It provides some amount of cushion but I wouldn't mind thicker.
Now I notice that the older cases have either a thick twill loop whatever type of either cotton or wool liner. It is a natural material which seems to hold up pretty well considering some of it is 50 plus years old. If I am correct, rayon is made from bamboo. Does rayon count as a natural material?
So my question is what is this sort of material called more specifically, not velvet or suede. I have been looking around and from what little better have found is that it is some sort of upholstery. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Re: Case linings
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:07:42 PM »
I grabbed some cotton velvet off eBay. Wasn't too pleased with the thickness of the material but it still looks nice and has some softness/padding to it. I also do like the older style cases. Does anyone else redo their interiors?
I like the run down beat up look of the exterior to give it a sort of providence. When you open it there is something that looks good and taken care of.
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Case linings
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
Very nice! You sum it up nicely. As long as the case doesn't smell bad, go for it!
Windy at BLACK HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html