Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: French Selmer Alto Valuation ??  (Read 10 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
French Selmer Alto Valuation ??
« on: November 24, 2020, 11:56:34 PM »
I'm lightening my load for a big transnational move. One of the instruments I found in my collection was a 2 piece Alto Clarinet by Selmer. Ebony. It's certainly playable with no noticeable defects. I'm almost toying with keeping it as it has such a nice tone. I asked my local instrument tech for a quote on a repad and set up and he wanted $450 CAD,,, ie about $350 USD. For one who only picks up a soprano once in awhile to do some noodling, I don't think i even deserve this, nor at a cost of $450 to get it into top shape.

When i went on Ebay, I was shocked at what the high end pricing was on these: $4500 !! Some even higher. as it's late at night, I can't retrieve a serial number or other identifying info except it's marked France and I think Depois .. or something like that.

The problem I'm having is that the low end price of these Selmer wooden altos is allso quite low at only one or two hundred dollars.

My dilemma now is I can't, using Ebay, even nail down a market valuation for these as they are wildly all over the place. If I sell this I have no idea what to ask. I also don't know what repads should cost.

What I'm thinking, is to repad this myself or at least make all the adjustments necessarry to get it to play as well as it can with the pads already on it. I'm a certified machinist with a wealth of tools that would make professional instrument shops envious. i do not however have the skills to do this.

What I'm asking here is this: Can you tell me a process or a direction I ought to follow in assessing this horn's fair market value ? Without going to some school, even if I could, how might I get some instruction on doing the adjustments or taking on the task of doing my own repad ?

Thank you so much for your time in replying.

Charlie

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Re: French Selmer Alto Valuation ??
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:15:40 AM »
Honestly, there is always YouTube. Of course using the search function here is a good way to learn about specific things.
With tube, you can get a flavor of what you need to do and basics of how to do it. There really isn't a lot involved if you are just changing pads. I would recommended shellac and not glue if you do happen to try yourself.
If you stop and think, most things aren't hard. Making it look good is what takes skill. At least that's my 2 cents.
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline Abraxas

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:51:01 PM »
I actually tried to do a shellac job using leather pads on a Bundy and it didn't come out so well. Everything looks great but it's not playable. I think what I really need is some instruction on adjustments as much as I do on changing the pads out. I'm still thinking I should perhaps sell this but going back to my first question, how do I get it appraised and what metric do I use. as I said, the prices are WILDLY all over the place on the French Selmer Altos on Ebay. and I do mean W I L D L Y !!!

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:01:02 PM »
French Selmer alto with no defects? 

Put it up on ebay for $2000.00 - as it sits. That would be $1800 in your pocket if it sells.

You never know until you try!
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages