Author Topic: Sad Dance  (Read 39 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Sad Dance
« on: November 10, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
A piece from the James Rae book. The tempo is marked Jazz Waltz Tempo, whatever that is...
My high A is weak. Probably weak embouchure because I don't play enough.

https://youtu.be/02THxO6pRIM
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Sad Dance
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
That middle A is always a bit weak as is the Ab.  The Bb with the speaker key is even worse.  That one is notoriously the worst note on the clarinet. 

To improve them, you can try something called resonance fingerings.  These are different on different instruments so you have to experiment to find ones that work on your particular clarinet.  The idea is to add some combination of right hand fingers (and maybe the 3rd finger of the left hand) that makes the note sound stronger.  You will probably be able to find suitable resonance fingerings to add to G, G#, A and Bb.  Be careful though, it can affect the tuning. 

You wouldn't use such fingerings for fast passages. Just use them when you have a long note that it needs it to be stronger.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:19:24 PM by Dibbs »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »
That middle A is always a bit weak as is the Ab.  The Bb with the speaker key is even worse.  That one is notoriously the worst note on the clarinet. 

To improve them, you can try something called resonance fingerings.  These are different on different instruments so you have to experiment to find ones that work on your particular clarinet.  The idea is to add some combination of right hand fingers (and maybe the 3rd finger of the left hand) that makes the note sound stronger.  You will probably be able to find suitable resonance fingerings to add to G, G#, A and Bb.  Be careful though, it can affect the tuning. 

You wouldn't use such fingerings for fast passages. Just use them when you have a long note that it needs it to be stronger.

To fix the Bb you can always go to the extreme
And get yourself a McIntyre...
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 02:55:49 AM »
Or a Mazzeo system, or one with the Stubbins mechanism or or one of several similar mechanisms.  There have been many attempts but none have become popular. 

Just learn to use the side key where appropriate.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:57:51 AM by Dibbs »

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 03:17:11 PM »
Quote from: DaveLeBlanc

To fix the Bb you can always go to the extreme
And get yourself a McIntyre...
What's a McIntyre?
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 03:18:35 PM »

Oh good I'm glad its not just me!
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black  Hole Clarinets
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:48:15 PM »
The thumb-Bb is notorious, as Dibbs noted. It's a dual-function key, and thus a compromise. A number of factors may help to dial it in. First of all, clean the metal tone hole (the register key stem) because it may be partly obstructed by debris including possible fibers from your swab. Should be easy for anyone to remove the key and put it back - there's no trick involved.

Once it's off, clean the hole with a pipe cleaner and water or alcohol. On inexpensive horns like yours, there may even be a bit of metal burr inside, from careless manufacturing. I use a tiny jewelers file or a good sharp drill bit (used like a file) to clean out any burrs. The result of cleaning the hole can seem miraculous.

If the pad is impressed deeply, it may impede the airflow. It should open enough to vent the air with plenty of space. Sanding the cork or slightly bending the key (at the touch end) can correct that.

Sometimes the inside of the barrel is not optimal. Try pulling it out a bit. Sometimes the gap helps, sometimes not. Try pulling out mouthpiece too. If it makes it worse, it serves to demonstrate how sensitive the thing is.
Windy at BLACK HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 05:38:50 PM »
The thumb-Bb is notorious, as Dibbs noted. It's a dual-function key, and thus a compromise. A number of factors may help to dial it in. First of all, clean the metal tone hole (the register key stem) because it may be partly obstructed by debris including possible fibers from your swab. .
Ah I did not use the thumb key in this piece. At the moment I am staying in the low register. Not really used the register key much. But I have looked and it is clean (I check all the keys pads snd screws every now and then)
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!