Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tobacco residue, ugh, almost done me in on restos...  (Read 363 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Tobacco residue, ugh, almost done me in on restos...
« on: December 15, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »
Just venting here, the two clarinets I'm working on are were absolutely encrusted with tobacco residue.  Just absolutely terrible, and it's just discouraging to work on these back-to-back.  I stopped work after a horrific time with one, only to realize the other was almost as bad... Anyway, post any tips you have for cleaning something like this.  I know it's probably a bad idea, but I broke out the denatured alcohol again for these, especially to clean the tone holes and beds with  Q tips.  Probably used about 30, or maybe more on the second.  The first one, well, was a horror of which we will not speak. :-X. Let's just say the size of the tone holes was visibly and significantly changed.  Strangely enough, after cleaning, the body and keys look practically brand new, even though it's from probably the 30s or 40s.  Layer of crud was protecting it, I guess?  How did they gunk this up so badly when it looks practically unplayed?  Virtually no signs of wear whatsoever.
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Tobacco residue, ugh, almost done me in on restos...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
that sounds absolutely awful. I would have gone the same route with denatured alcohol. To get the smell out, I would recommend running it through with a mixture of thyme oil and almond oil. The thyme acts as a powerful deodorizer and will also kill all the germs and viruses
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States