Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whoa, check out this mouthpiece!!!  (Read 198 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Whoa, check out this mouthpiece!!!
« on: December 19, 2020, 08:18:11 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mouthpiece-Moschos-sons-that-converts-a-Clarinet-to-a-Kaval/283991568574?hash=item421f3770be:g:lgUAAOSwN1Ne9IQZ

Kaval flute mouthpiece for clarinet!  The Kaval is an end blown folk flute from the Balkans/Anatolia region. How cool is that?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:23:49 AM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Whoa, check out this mouthpiece!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:16:19 PM »
It's shorter than I would have imagined.  I'll see if I can 3d print something similar.  I can get pretty close to the external dimensions from the photo.  A straight 15mm bore would probably be a good starting point for the internals.  The only problem is, the last time I blew a kaval I could barely get a sound out of it.

They have other interesting things too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moschos-Sons-Mouthpiece-Clarinet-A18-Tip-opening-2-25/283855917327?hash=item421721910f:g:Pt0AAOSwGEJeoDeA

2.25mm tip opening!

Perhaps that's the way to go if you want that Eastern Mediterranean sound but where would you find a reed soft enough for a beast like that?

I think that's a bit extreme even for that part of the world.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »
Yes, 2.25mm would be insane- would you have to make your own reeds maybe?  I've never tried a Kaval, heard it's difficult.  I do really like the sounds of the folk instruments and music from the regions where Europe and the Middle east come together.
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 04:52:28 AM »
Now get a duduk reed adaptor and see how it sounds!

You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
That would be interesting. I've seen in videos, a alto (?) duduk that looks like a German or simple-system clarinet. But I suspect it's specially tuned for the double-reed.

The Turkish and Balkan/Greek players get a very reedy, more native sound (often not recognizable as a clarinet) by using a microphone (pickup) inserted into a drilled hole in the barrel. You can see this on many videos. Ironically, it creates a more primitive sound like ancient instruments. I think it bypasses the characteristic clarinet voicing that occurs in the whole instrument.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »
It's not just the barrel mic.  They play totally differently.  Wide open mouthpieces, strength 1 reeds.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 06:36:10 AM »
I've always thought it would be neat if there was a tenor recorder with all the keys of the clarinet. So maybe a recorder head to fit on a clarinet ...
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »
There was a keyed recorder called a czakan that was popular in Hungary and Vienna the early 19th century.  They are very rare now but I think one or two people make copies.

Adapting a clarinet would be unlikely to work well other than in the first register.  The bore's all wrong.  However you do have quite a decent range in the first register.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 02:43:11 PM »
There was a keyed recorder called a czakan that was popular in Hungary and Vienna the early 19th century.  They are very rare now but I think one or two people make copies.

Adapting a clarinet would be unlikely to work well other than in the first register.  The bore's all wrong.  However you do have quite a decent range in the first register.
I've heard of the Czakan, I've read a few posts about them on a german recorder forum I post on.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!