Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tuning test with 2 barrels  (Read 134 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Tuning test with 2 barrels
« on: December 27, 2020, 08:24:21 AM »
So after listening to Windy's advice I decided to check the tuning of my clarinet barrels, first the 65mn and then the 62mm.
I was thinking that my top A sounds flat but not so in this test, although it seems more in tune when using the 62mm barrel. Clarinet being what it is though I don't always sound the same.
I'm using a free Android tuner called Soundcorset. It allows the player to compensate for transposing instruments.
Edit: the site isn't letting me upload files so I'm using a third party hoster.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:59:16 AM by LarryS »
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Tuning test with 2 barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
You found a good tuner app! It has a graph along the bottom of its screen. It shows how much you vary the pitch over time. It indicates how you (we) make corrections as we play.

Those corrections become habitual and subconscious. That is part of learning the instrument BUT if done excessively to correct for an out-of-tune instrument, then it is detrimental.

You need to check your tuning IN CONTEXT of the whole instrument – not just 4 notes in a row. Because, the barrel length influences high notes (more open notes) more than the low notes.

Play a reliable low note, like low G and pop up to open G. Do it quickly as you watch the tuner, so you don't start making corrections. If they are both in tune, you have the right barrel. If open G is flat compared to low G, your barrel is too long. If in doubt, shorter is better because you can pull it out a bit if you need.

Equalizing low and open G through barrel choice (or pull-out) tunes the clarinet TO ITSELF.

Once you do that, you can play with a more constant embouchure and a more reliable result.

What about that throat A? (the top A key) It is less stable than the notes below. Also, the degree to which it opens is critical to its pitch, and may not be exactly right. So that's why open G is used as a basis for adjustment ... at least initially.

A tuner is a great tool, but beware – obsessive use gets frustrating. Best to use it to help train your ear (after tuning your instrument).
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »
Thanks Windy. On the whole it seems the shorter barrel is the more stable tuning wise.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
The 62mm may seem better but the main reason you are playing flat on the 65mm is your not great embouchure.   Sorry to be blunt about it but I can hear it in your recordings.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »
The 62mm may seem better but the main reason you are playing flat on the 65mm is your not great embouchure.   Sorry to be blunt about it but I can hear it in your recordings.
Yes I'm not a good player, I don't practice enough
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
Embouchure is too relaxed. You can fix that. Squeeze lips like you are sucking a nearly-frozen milkshake, then blow. Pitch rises. Sound gets more beautiful. If that moves you, go with it. If not, we all must accept this limited way to help from afar.

As promised, I will be mailing you a vintage French mouthpiece and a soft Fibracell reed, and maybe a barrel, Larry. But meanwhile, keep taking all of our good advice. And check out some fine instructional videos on YT, like Michelle Anderson. Even if you practice "not enough", you will make progress.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 05:26:41 AM »
Thanks Windy
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!