Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well, I'm on a clarinet spree again...  (Read 530 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Re: Well, I'm on a clarinet spree again...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 02:02:36 PM »
Ah I just found this. The logo for Camille Thibouville idls very similar to that of BC

http://iremus.huma-num.fr/marques-instruments-musique/590
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Well, I'm on a clarinet spree again...
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 06:25:33 PM »
Ah I just found this. The logo for Camille Thibouville idls very similar to that of BC

http://iremus.huma-num.fr/marques-instruments-musique/590

Yep, I just found that site recently and posted it to the research forum- it shows Camille had 2 different brands, the one you linked to with "Thibouville" in a an oval Cartouche with stars above and below- I've seen some of those, they're rare, but I've seen some- one is for sale right now.  I didn't know until I found that site it was a Camille Th. brand.  That logo looks similar to really early Thib. Freres IIRC.  It's also similar to Eugene Thibouville's mark, naturally.  However, there was a mark with Camille's own name, as well.  I've never seen or heard of another clarinet with his actual name as the brand, I could only find info about an old auction with cornet with a Cam.Thib. mark.  I saw a couple of other clarinets recently with different Thibouville variations.  One just said "Thibouville Paris" with the words forming vertically opposed arches, the other apparently "Tibouville" spelled differently ( being sold as a counterfeit, but is not).  Thibouville.com explains that there were many family members involved in instrument mfg over a long period of time, centuries it seems, some of whom spelled their family name differently, but all part of the same family.  I'm still really extremely keen to know which Thibouville and Buffet collaborated mid 19th century (or married?!) to create Thibouville-Buffet, since those two families are of special interest to me.  I have a Thib.-Buffet Boehm, only other one I could find any info on is in the Shackleton collection. I've seen some pics of a few Thib.-Buffet flutes, maybe a non-Boehm clarinet.  The owners of the converted Thib. factory hotel claim to have identified at least 41 different mark/brand variations.  I concentrate on Boehm system, just to keep the collecting can of worms from being opened too wide, so only some of those will overlap with what I collect.  I would like a better Eugene Thibouville, and a Martin Thibouville (there was one offered recently, but it sold before I decided). I already have 4 Jerome Thibouville Lamys.  Came close to buying that JTL metal that was for auction recently, as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:42:19 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...