Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Confirming identification of old Buffet Crampon pair  (Read 157 times)

Offline Addmore

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Confirming identification of old Buffet Crampon pair
« on: January 12, 2021, 01:06:26 PM »
I'm looking for some help confirming the identification of a pair of old Buffet Crampon clarinets that have recently come my way.  Based on the history of the instruments, I believe they were likely purchased in the 1950s.  The serial numbers start with "52" and are five numbers long.  They are beautiful, well-loved, wood instruments that I suspect may be R13 models from perhaps one of the first years of production in the mid-1950s, but I'm hoping to learn more about what I have on my hands.  Any help is appreciated!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Confirming identification of old Buffet Crampon pair
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »
Well, first off, the R-13 designation was not used until 1955 at the earliest, so if its early 50s then it wouldn't be an R13.

The Buffet models prior to the R13 don't seem to have a "real" name, rather they are often advertised on eBay and other places as the so-called "Pre-R13"

First off, is it marked Made in France? That's the minimum requirement to be an R13
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Addmore

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Confirming identification of old Buffet Crampon pair
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:59:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  I don't know the precise date they were manufactured or purchased - my best family info puts it in the 1950s, and the serial (from online lists) seems to suggest the mid-1950s and the very earliest R-13s.  They are marked "Made in France" below the Buffet logo on both the bell and body of the instruments.  Both serial numbers start with "52."