Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1860s-1884 Buffet Crampon, deux  (Read 573 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: 1860s-1884 Buffet Crampon, deux
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 06:57:28 PM »
I found another one of these Buffets, somehow, in very bad shape, but complete.  If it's in the same pitch, it would be great for parts. However, it's local pickup only in Dijon, France...Strange that another one should appear so soon!  I also have another similar one on the way that I found, with unplated brass keywork (lower ring key stack missing, I'm sensing a trend here), integrated barrel, labeled "Bonnel a Rennes". Bonnel was a retailer and from what I can find, sourced many of it's wind instruments from Gautrot (and successor Couesnon).  This one I think is fairly early, so maybe Gautrot.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:00:00 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 11:15:05 PM »
I suspect a boehm could be lightened considerably these days with computerized 3d technology across increasingly diverse materials.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 09:11:36 AM »
I suspect a boehm could be lightened considerably these days with computerized 3d technology across increasingly diverse materials.
Actually I'm working on something along these lines.  It's more just for my own interest, there's no way it could be commercially successful with how traditional most musicians are.  Anyway, I was able to convince the seller to ship this second BC clarinet.  If it's the same pitch, I may use it for parts, as the body is in bad shape, but all the keywork is there, unbent and original, though some badly corroded.  The original bell is present as well, though moderately damaged.  That's one of the easiest parts to restore in my view, so it may be useful as well.  I'll still end up with two, just one playable and with correct parts, the other more of a relic.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 03:56:50 PM »
Oh yeah, I would collect everything if I could, I love the purity and simplicity of Albert/Mueller, classical clarinets, etc...but you're right, the intuitive human factors and ergonomics aspect of Boehm are nearly unbeatable. I do have a J.T.L. Albert high pitch I would never part with, incredible materials and beautiful workmanship. I do wish Boehms were lighter, though!  I have problems with my wrists and thumbs that I felt always held back how long I could practice.  The only instrument I that didn't fatigue my hand too much, where I could just play for hours, was a very old and extremely light metal clarinet.  If I could take the clarinet anywhere, it would be to lighten it with modern materials, overall
Boy, if you think Boehm is heavy, try going MCINTYRE. Those are awfully top-heavy, not to mention allover heavy. Those definitely need a neckstrap.

In high school marching band I used to march bass clarinet with no neckstrap just to try to show off to the girls how macho I was. Turns out that band girls aren't exactly looking for those jocks with massive thump muscles. Go figure.

If you've got a spare $14 grand or so, Backun makes a carbon fiber clariet!
https://backunmusical.com/products/cg-carbon-bb-clarinet?variant=12299511201845
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »
I was tempted by that cache of Mcintyres at auction recently... anyway, my concept is more along the lines of a single wall metal clarinet using carbon fiber tube for the body.  The Backun, I think would be even cooler if entirely carbon fiber.  Of course if I had $14k to burn, I'd get one if those and be the fanciest dandy dabbler around, you better believe it!  I'm pretty strong overall, just my thumbs are strangely weak overall especially when pushed from the side like the load of a clarinet. My hands are relatively large as well, maybe it has to do with some contorted hand position?   I'm kind of cramped on a Bb even for certain things.  An A feels really good to me, and while I like playing C clarinet, I have trouble playing some even moderately technical stuff.  Eb I'm not sure how that would go.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2021, 08:55:57 AM »
I have a thumb issue too, based on my hand structure. Thumb rests are always far too low for me. Adjustable ones never go high enough. I think this contributed to my giving up on woodwinds as a kid. On all my instruments, I raise my thumb rest about 20cm (3/4"). I've never met another player who needs it so high, but I do.

My solution is to remove the original rest, and GLUE on a big thumb rest that I get from Kenny in China hzxiaoyu@qq.com. When I played sax, I would re-solder the rest to get a good position.

This is off-topic, because we would never modify a valuable antique.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »
I thought I might try turning the thumbrest upside-down as some people do, on a suitable non-antique instrument as a trial.  Then maybe experiment with moving it up/or having it moved up on a student instrument to see if that helps even more.  I did have my eye on a Vito V40 recently. 

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 08:55:43 AM »
I do that on some, as a temporary measure. If there are two screws going laterally, then the rest can usually be inverted, with no harm done. An inverted rest can still usually support a rubber piece jammed on so the thumb is comfortable in spite of the wrong curve of the metal.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html