Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Made in Saxony"  (Read 253 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
"Made in Saxony"
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
Saw a clarinet for sale with difficult to make out logo, but labeled "Made in Saxony" B LP.  First of all, of course we know that there were many instrument manufacturers in operation over hundreds of years in Vogtland Saxony, in present day Germany- but why Saxony the state called out instead of any form of Germany?  I know that modern idea of Germany was formed in 1871 with the "German Empire" and included Saxony, but was the concept of low pitch/high pitch as represented by LP/HP in use by that time?  It seems like it was made for consumption in the US or other countries with origin labels mandated, with the "Made in XXX" stamp as well as the LP marking.  It's Boehm system as well- not sure if Vogtland/Saxony manufacturers were making them in 1870 or earlier, though maybe?  As I understand, Boehm system was prevelant in France around that time and starting to take off in other places and maybe they were just starting to get in on that business.  I'll have to look at Saxony's history to understand more of how or when it was considered more of it's own state vs. part of a more modern nation-state like we think of them today, since that is a fairly new idea, actually.  Oh, the clarinet looks very old on it's own, and if I had to date when I thought it was from, independent of where it was made, I would say 1880s to early 1900s just based on the aging alone.  I'd buy it, but at 1/10th the asking price- maybe.  One of those listings where the clarinet is absolutely hammered and half the pics are of the deteriorated case.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:14:34 AM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: "Made in Saxony"
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:42:43 AM »
OK, here's a bit of an article on the history of the "Made in XXX" laws, apparently started to try to keep German goods from becoming popular in England.  This started in 1887.  I wonder if the Saxony label is just a variation on Germany?

https://www.dw.com/en/125-years-of-made-in-germany/a-16188583

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »
Any marks other than Made in Saxony?  I have an eefer (probably 1920's) that I was finally able to track to Oscar Adler in Markneukirchen.  Seems like it would be a good town to look into. 
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
Any marks other than Made in Saxony?  I have an eefer (probably 1920's) that I was finally able to track to Oscar Adler in Markneukirchen.  Seems like it would be a good town to look into.

Too hard to read, but maybe the logo would be enough to match if I could find something similar.  I'm familiar with Markneukirchen, I have a O. Neurnberger Markneukirchen full Boehm that I got ripped off on, totally botched into oblivion- didn't do my proper research, found auction where seller had bought from Bulgaria and got ripped off even bigger.  Was an incredible instrument new, I'm sure!  The logo in question looks quite elaborate and quite unlike the restrained markings on more modern German clarinets, definitely more "old world" than "Bauhaus."

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »
OK, I've zoomed in more, it doesn't look like "SAXONY", it looks like it  says "S###SY", where the second letter looks like an "A" and the fourth letter looks like a C, G, or O?  SA##SY?  Can't imagine...maybe it really is SAXONY, because the other possibility doesn't make sense...logo still indecipherable.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:08:33 PM by modernicus »