Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Clarinet  (Read 2479 times)

Offline billbonn80

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
My Clarinet
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »
I have a Pedler clarinet that my father bought for me around 1955. S/N on body is N24810. I want to get the clarinet reworked so it is playable again. First, can anyone give me information on this clarinet and is it worth repairing. I'll never get rid of it as it has so much sentimental value but I would consider purchasing one on line to try and play again. Thanks in advance.

Bill B.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: My Clarinet
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:11:41 PM »
An old clarinet such as this one won't be "worth" what you pay somebody to fix, but I say who cares, if you're not on a super restricted fixed income or something.  I don't know much about Pedler instruments, some may be good, others not as much.  There are people on the board who know more.  I'm only familiar with early "Harry Pedler" metal clarinets. If it has sentimental value and you'll never sell anyway, all the more reason to go ahead and play it, if you're thinking of taking up the instrument.  If you find you really like playing, and you have the money, you could upgrade later.  I know it's not the kind of sensible advice most people would give, but I don't really care. Have fun and enjoy your life with something enriching, like playing an a piece of history, musical and family!
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »
Sounds good advice there modernicus
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: My Clarinet - Pedler
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 02:16:17 PM »
Bill - If you can post a photo, some of us will recognize if it was an older design. Most 50s Pedlers aren't so great, but some (I had one) were based on a 1930s "Harry Pedler" design, that was excellent. Pedler fans will know from your photos.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline RayWach

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 02:18:28 PM »
I realize this is an old thread but hopefully someone will see this:

I have a Pedler clarinet serial number P13214 made of very dark wood with nickle fittings. It is stamped "The Pedler Co. Elkhart, Ind." and came in a case with an oval plaque that says "Wood Winds" and "Pedler." It was a gift from my aunt to my father in the early 1950s, we believe, for use in a marching band. They lived in Dayton, Ohio. As far as I can tell, it is in excellent condition, practically brand new and perfectly playable. My son used it in his grade school band about twenty years ago, and we are planning for my niece to use it in school.

How can I find out when it was made? Was it sold new in Dayton in the early 1950s?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 03:15:52 PM »
Welcome!
Sadly, the simple answer is that you can't. 
We still do not have any definitive, legitimate markers for dating based upon serial number, but I can approximate the D.O.M. within a 5 year window, typically, as the keywork and stamps used were transitional, meaning they did not all emerge or disappear at one time.  These are the only breadcrumbs we have, and as the years press on, perhaps all we will ever have.

I am happy to help, but I request 4 determining photos of your clarinet.
1) A photo of the thumbrest
2) of the top joint RH trill key GUIDES
3) of the top and bottom trill key POSTS
4) Any and all logos on the clarinet, itself (some clarinets were both The Pedler and American, Premiere, Hoosier, etc.)

The serial number, itself, only tells us it was made after December of 1930.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 03:34:17 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline RayWach

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 07:10:09 AM »
Here is a photo of my father holding the clarinet, just for fun.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 03:31:05 PM »
I have a verified sale date for a Pedler in this series, and based on that I'm confident yours was made after WWII.

More pictures would help, but it potentially could have been bought new in the early 1950s.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigator™

Offline RayWach

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 04:31:57 PM »
Thanks, that would make sense. I posted pictures but probably didn't do it right. Trying again:

1) The thumb rest has two screws
2) and 3) I'm afraid I don't know the parts of the clarinet but hopefully this picture shows what you are looking for.
4) The only marks are the Pedler stamp on every piece and the serial number on one piece.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 07:02:39 PM »
Intriguingly enough, there's a similar clarinet currently listed for sale on Reverb, seemingly by a descendant of its original owner: https://reverb.com/item/72864999-pedler-wood-model-p-1953-ebony

So, I now have two documented sale dates for these: P8654 sold in June 1942, and P21541 sold in December 1953.

With that, I'd be leaning towards late 1940s as a build date for your instrument. (Which doesn't necessarily preclude your instrument being bought new; you never know just how much time something spent at a music store before being sold. It might've been the display model, or maybe wood Pedler clarinets weren't in demand in Dayton.)
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigator™

Offline RayWach

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 07:28:59 PM »
Thank you very much; that's good to know.

Ray

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 10:14:22 AM »
Indeed, Rocket. Spot on.

Nice job, and good looking out on the receipts there.  I will add those to our timeline.

That is a cool photo of your dad, Ray.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 01:48:52 PM by Windsong »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 10:45:56 AM »
It would appear I cannot make any additional modifications to the HP timeline, due to having exceeded the maximum allotted characters, per post.  We may need to rethink how this is ordered, Rocket.  I really want to be able to provide a concise (😬) legitimate timeline, and it's getting rather convoluted, I fear.  Suggestions are always welcomed.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 02:48:09 PM »
It would appear I cannot make any additional modifications to the HP timeline, due to having exceeded the maximum allotted characters, per post.  We may need to rethink how this is ordered, Rocket.  I really want to be able to provide a concise (😬) legitimate timeline, and it's getting rather convoluted, I fear.  Suggestions are always welcomed.
Hmm... my first thought would be to split them up by material. Maybe even by sequence if the A, P and W lists prove to still be too long.

Or, if a timeline is the goal, maybe take each data point that is either a known date, known limit (i.e. must be before/after X year), or notes a noteworthy production change, and put those all in an additional, separate list.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 06:19:08 PM »
All good ideas.  I had thought I would start a short post with the  model designations, posting verified date/serial data, without details.  Those will have to go elsewhere now, and we have a lot of good detail on characteristics at this point, anyway.

EDIT:  After trimming some unneeded verbosity, I was able to add the above to the thread.  At some point, it will become prudent to reconfigure the list, but for now, we have two date stakes.  Thank you, Rocket.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:35:36 PM by Windsong »